Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitarrist wants a taken name!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Krist, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Krist

Krist

Mar 24, 2003
    Sweden
    About 2 weeks after my band decided on a name i checked various sites, like bandname.com and mp3.com after artists with the same name, and found someone who was using the exact same name, and also about 4 artists with a similar name.
    So i told the other members we needed to change our name, but apparently, they dont see the problem! I don't konow why they are so attached to the bandname, but they want to keep it! I've done everythig besides threaten to leave the band, to convice them but especially the guitarist won't change his mind!
    He says that since they are a techno band and we play rock they probably won't mind, unless we disgrace their name.:rolleyes:
    How can i convince him? Or should just let them keep the name and hope the other band won't find out?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    (band name) + number = totally original name :rolleyes: :)

3. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Yup. A friend of mine just went through this. He was in a band in NYC years ago and now there is a band "makin it big" on MTV that has the same name. (or had the same name. I think they had to change names too.) He and the rest of his old band got paid a nice chunk of cash for it.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    There was a band that was fairly successful in the 70s back in the midwest called.....Asia. They had a couple albums out and had done all the correct legal stuff to secure their rights to the name Asia. And...you guessed it.....they got paid off when the 80s supergroup "Asia" hit it big.

If the other band isn't anymore than regional (like yourselves) and they're a good distance away from you, don't worry about it.

Heck, they could decide to change their name to "Dog Feces" tomorrow.

5. Krist

Krist

Mar 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Anoter problem is if we promote our band around our area and someone does an internet search for our bandname, they might find the oher bands page. Also, we cant register our band at mp3.com, since it already is registered. In fact any presence of our band on the internet would probably be out of the question. Am i right about this?

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have actually done this. If ever another local band has the same name I'll add 44. WHat's really scary is that I agree with stupidmatt.

:)

7. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    ....well, in that case.

8. what...they're gonna take MY name too???

9. Krist

Krist

Mar 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Why 44? Maybe i shouldn't tell them about adding a number at the end of the name, i KNOW they'll go for 666! :D

...suppose it's betten then a taken name though.

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Something tells me "666" has been used....at least once. :eek:

11. So if i was in a band called Britney Spears 182, i would have no legal troubles?

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Go for it... but just remeber J Lo 41 is taken. :D

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just kill him. Problem solved.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Swap a letter or a word or a two - atleast they don't find out about you so easily.

15. Translate it into a different language? French is always sexy, Latin usually makes it more evil, Japanese makes it more incomprehensible (sp? ;) too), etc etc.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I played in a band that had to change names even though the other band played a different style of music and spelled the name differently, though the pronunciation was the same. We were both in the same large city, but still there was enough friction over the name that we decided we'd change while the changing was good.

Here's what I believe...there are so darned many things you can name your band. There are thousands of words in hundreds of langauages. Why must your guitarist be so in love with a name that is already taken? There isn't just ONE PERFECT name for a band.

Also, I am not so fond of the idea of just throwing on some numbers at the end of a name to distinquish yourselves. If another band can prove that even with the numbers your band's name is sufficiently similar to theirs as to cause the kind of confusion Ed Fuqua aludes to above, you STILL may have to eventually change your name. Why wait?

As it turned out the new name we chose for our band was better than the one we had before anyway. It better reflected our music and we avoided any trouble with that other band. Tell your guitarist my story and Ed Fuqua's. Then come up with another and better name.

17. Years ago in Oklahoma there was a band going around named Double Trouble. Not the SRV band, of course. Everybody made fun of the group for choosing that name, the leader apparently was too stubborn or stupid to change it...I guess that's one of the reasons they were relegated to small bar gigs in rural Oklahoma. (The leader tried to claim he had used that name longer than SRV but everybody knew that was hokey).

Moral of the story: it's just a name, pick another one and go on with life. Why invite trouble or ridicule over something as trivial as a name?:bassist: