Guitarron as ABG in unplugged situation?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaybones, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Was asked by my dad, after seeing a commercial in which a Mariachi band is playing "Is there really a big guitar like that, or did they just make one up for the commercial?"

I said there was, and had to look up the name. Told him it was a guitarron (even rolled the R's).

Got me thinking, could someone play one unplugged and be able to keep up with other guitars?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    People have been doing it for years but by the time you stack trumpets and violins on top, they kind of get lost in the mix, ending up as more as a rhythm instrument.

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    And you would look so cool playing it! The chicks would go wild!!!

:bassist: dancinguyBanana.gif dancinguyBanana.gif dancinguyBanana.gif dancinguyBanana.gif :bassist:

4. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    My dad said he thought there'd be guys that couldn't play it. Too small to wrap their arms around it.

I said the backs are beveled so the proper playing position is to tilt the thing upward so you can reach the strings.

5. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. JonathanAlvarez

JonathanAlvarez

Aug 31, 2016
    Melbourne
    I am not a guitarron player, but I have heard them a lot, they are loud ... way louder than any ABG you may play.
    Acoustically , they can keep up with 2 guitars a vihuela and a violin.
    But the technique is different than a bass guitar. For instance , you play 2 strings at the time, normally with you thumb and index finger.

7. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    You play them in octaves so you do have quite a bit of volume to them (think 2 bowed basses). All mariachi banda play them unamolified without issues (of course trumpets are way louder!)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021