Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitarron brands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassFelt, May 31, 2005.

1. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I'm looking into Guitarrons (the Mexican mariachi bass). Besides a few others, there are two brands I see advertised most: Lone Star and Lucida, the former costing about twice the price of the latter. Is there anyone here playing a guitarron? Has anyone here compared them? Any other recommendations?

2. thefour

thefour

Jun 15, 2005
    if you are looking for a guitarron worth playing--Morales--from guadalajara, Mexico. if you are looking for something to learn on, a lonestar is decent enough to accomplish this. i currently play on a lonestar and am doing alright...as long as i have some guadalupe custom strings (my favorite). if you are looking for something a bit better but don't want to put the dinero, look into candela, or reyes (mariachiconnection.com) and you'll find something there that's nice. but MORALES is primo suprimo. i got one coming in october, custom made and black!

3. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Thanks for your info thefour. I'll look into these brands. The only Guitarron I played was a fairly cheap one (don't know the brand). The owner had a thicker fretboard put on it to get it in playable condition. It actually sounded great to my ears - though I have no comparison. When you say "worth playing", do you mean sound, action, or general workmanship?

4. thefour

thefour

Jun 15, 2005
    action is a personal preference, i've played on both low and high--i prefer the high, others prefer the low. i recommend either but with a low action, high tension strings (never la bella). the sound from a morales with produce strong deep lows and bright highs evenly and equally loud. and the workmanship can be noticed by the kind of bridge choosen, the strings will eat at it less in a quality instrument then a cheap one; also the alignment of the strings over the fingerboard--i have seen some that way off.