Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guitars and bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Im thinking of buying a guitar. (I know its wrong...but I cant help myself) I have a Boss ODB3 and a bass wah. Will these work on a guitar?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    In a word: No. I've run my Strat thru my bass FX and it sounds horrid. You'll be much happier if you invest in some decent guitar FX.

3. i just got a Mesa/Boogie V-Twin pedal. This thing kicks sooo much ass! Its technicly a pre-amp, with 3 channels (Clean, Blues {light distortion}, and Solo {Heavy Distortion}) i dont want to try a bass though it, cause i dont use that type of thing? ok, i'm just scared to. It's got two (2) Preamp tubes, come equiped with (2) 12ax7's, but i'm pretty sure i wanna swap out one of them and put in a 12au7, because the there is too much gain in the 12ax7's. The main reason why i got this pedal was because i had a S.S amp, but wanted warm tube tones, and this was the only distortion pedal out there that has 3 channels. the downside? its $300. but dont let the price get you down, its well worth all of that money. They could have charged $500, and i woudl have payed it (i think thats how much the V-twin rackmount is, but i think thats discontinued).

as for your original question, the distortion *might* work wiht the lower strings only, i doubt it would give you very good distortion for the upper 3 strings, due to their higher freq. the bass wah i am pretty much positive it will not work. it is disigned for lower freq. and it will make no change for the guitar freq.

4. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Actually, my crybaby doesn't sound that bad through my friends guitar.