Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

::GULP:: Help..... me.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dox, Aug 23, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    I was surfing the board and I came across a post about bass oils. This boggled my mind. I didn't think there was anymore more to cleaning your bass then taking a cheese cloth and rubbing it down every once in a while... So could some tell me how to clean my bass as best as I can. I wipe with teh cheese cloth and the day letter FINGER PRINTS ALL OVER IT'S BEUTIFUL BLACK BODY! AAAAHHH! Also I have grud that hangs from my strings and a layer of filth on my fretboard. How can I clean these withotu damaging my bass and what can I do. And what is up with the oils? How to keep these stupid finger prints off my bass.... Help.... me.....

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gibson makes this stuff, gg-910 guitar polish, i use it on my basses - works nicely well on the wood parts. as for the gunk on your strings, wiping them down with a clean cloth with a _little_ bit of rubbing alchohol will help take care of that - even just a clean dry cloth will take care of most of that for ya. do it every time you play.

then again, don't worry about it too much - you got a bass to play, not to look pretty, right? i mean, i've spent over US$20,000 on my basses, and they've got finger crud and finger prints on 'em. that's cuz i play 'em. that's what they were made for. now that's not to say that i condone bass abuse, i don't at all, but don't, uh..., fret it :)D) too much if your bass is covered in finger prints. shows you're playing it. :D

3. First of all, You must use those oils SPARINGLY. A very little bit goes a long way. I prefer to use an old T-shirt rather than a cheesecloth to polish it, and make sure you let it dry a bit before you touch it again so you don't put more fingerprints in it. You didn't say what kind of oils
    you used, other than Bass oil. Was it tung oil, linseed, lemon, nearsfoot, or 10W-30? Whatever you use, just make sure that you rub it in real good. As for your fretboard, here's a tip that I use..You can clean off your strings with
    a little #000 Steel wool and alcohol (or cheap cologne), or boil them like some of the other guys.The Steel wool thing works great on the frets and fingerboard also,just run over it with the steel wool and wipe it off with a cloth,really gets the gunk and dead skin off, but do it BEFORE you polish the Bass with anything so you don't end up with steel wool dust sticking to your finish!

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    One trick I've used for years on the fretboard is to take a toothbrush with some very mild soap, and scrub it down. I make sure to wipe it off right away, and then polish (or oil) it when I'm done.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I tried using a cheesecloth but the slices kept getting in the way.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Dox, I too play a black bass and I agree. They are hard to keep looking new.

First off, I learned pretty quickly that oil based polishes are not the answer. They work pretty well on anything but black finishes. I found that what works best for me is automobile waxes. You can wipe fingerprints off an oil finish but they just come right back. A wax finish actually seems to dry and fingerprints wipe right off with a clean, soft cloth. Avoid silicone based polishes. If you ever repaint your bass you'll be glad you did. Silicone is almost impossible to remove and impossible to paint over without getting those little craters called fisheyes.

Johnson's paste wax for hardwood floors works good but takes more elbow grease than automotive waxes.

For what it's worth, I think an old diaper makes the best polishing cloth. I can already hear the remarks. :)

Steel wool was mentioned in one of the other responses to this thread. DONT EVER let that stuff even get near an electric instrument of any kind. If the magnets in the pups ever get steel wool particles on them you'll never get rid of them. If you need something that abrasive, which is doubtful, use brass wool.

The time to detail your bass is when you change strings. It's lots easier to deal with the fret board with the strings out of the way. Keep in mind that any gunk left on the F.B. will transfer to the new strings, shortening thier life.

For polishing the bright metal, Ive found that a jewelry polishing cloth works great, but don't be tempted to polish the wood with it. There are silicones impregnated into the cloth.

Don't forget to put a tiny amount of graphite in the nut slots while the strings are off. White graphite, made for door locks is cleaner to work with.

Sorry for the long post. I'm bored. May be a good time to clean my bass. I had a gig this weekend and the last set was played with something sticky on the neck. Soft drinks in paper cups should be outlawed along with steel wool and hecklers. :)

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    would those be used old diapers?

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You had to do it, didn't you John? :) :) :)

9. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    pkr2, Is your bass black with brown streaks? Or does it rest smell funny :)

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, i just thought you might've been onto something, you know, sorta like rags with polish pre-applied.

who knows, there might be a market for 'em. you could use the selling point - "smooth as a baby's bottom". :D

11. Steel wool was mentioned in one of the other responses to this thread. DONT EVER let that stuff even get near an electric instrument of any kind. If the magnets in the pups ever get steel wool particles on them you'll never get rid of them. If you need something that abrasive, which is doubtful, use brass wool.

Soft drinks in paper cups should be outlawed along with steel wool and hecklers. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, I didn't say run it over your pickups, I said the fretboard with 000 grade steel wool. That's extra fine,in case you didn't know. And that is also why I said WIPE OFF THE BASS after you use it.Anyway, a friend of mine swears by this mirror Glaze polish from Stu-Mac. That may also be an option.They have all kinds of guitar care stuff. Check'em
    out at http://www.stewmac.com.
    And this thread would be pretty damn boring without a little good-natured heckling, pookie! :)