Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gun Blueing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Mar 26, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Anyone here do this themselves? I have an mid 40's bolt action Mossberg .22 that I just love to death. Probably the most fun rifle I own. I wanted to reblue the barrel and remove some rust spots, so last night I broke it all apart and stripped the barrel down. I had to go after some of the tougher spots with some 000 sw, but it all came out pretty nice.

Where I ran into problems was with the actual blueing. I couldn't get consistant coat. I followed the instructions on the bottle which were -

1. apply the stuff
    2. let sit for one minute
    3. wipe off with cold water
    4. repeat

I did this about 7 or 8 times but it was getting late so I just called it good enough. So, for all your official gun nuts out there, any suggestions for better results? Is it possible to get 'good as new' results by doing it yourself, or is it better to take it to a gunsmith?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never done it but I'd be reluctant to try the cheapo stuff. I know people who have used gunkote themselves (which gives it a great looking finish) but that requires sandblasting the metal before you do it.

brad cook

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "Cold" blueing is never as good as the true blueing process. I would stay away from the Walmart stuff or Birchwood/Casey liquid blue. Brownells Inc. has a product called " Oxpho Blue " that comes in a creme (about the consistency of snot.) It is easy to use, and won't run. I sporterized a "Yugo" Mauser and got very good results. Follow the directions very closely and I'll bet yours will turn out pretty good. Currently, a 4oz. bottle (probably enough to do your .22) is $9.22. Just to be safe, I'd order the 8oz. After resizing the pics you can't tell anything about the finish, but I highly recommend it

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    my uncle sporterized that same gun a few years back... it is real nice....

i just got done sporterizing an old M1903A1 springfield. it looks and shoots very nice now!

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Out of curiosity for those who are into guns, why is it that bolt action rifles seem to be the weapon of choice for hunting? All of mine are semi automatic, but they're more for protection and show than anything else.

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was going to change the caliber, but after we cut and crowned the original 8mm "stepped" barrel, it turned out to be an excellent shooter. Before the scout rifle craze came about, we experimented with this scope setup. We had a T/C Contender base and the Weaver 2.5x8 power scope lying around. Just for kicks I placed the rig on the barrel and it was a perfect fit. With this setup, it is possible to shoot with both eyes open. Target acquistion is very quick.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What type of rifle do you own? As far as hunting semi automatics go, the Browning BAR and Remington 7400,etc are good hunting rifles. My first rifle as a kid was a Remington 742 in .243 Winchester.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In general, bolt action rifles are more accurate than semiauto rifles. That is why they are largely preferred for hunting and sniping. Also, a bolt action is very simple to clean and maintain.

In standard combat the higher rate of the semi-auto and auto is preferrable to tack-driving accuracy, not that M-4s, CAR-15s and M-16s can't be accurate!

brad cook

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    As a rule (not always) they are more accurate, and it is certantly more difficult and costly to make an accurate semi-auto. It is also easier to customize or upgrade a bolt action in most cases. Plus some states don't allow semi autos for hunting. Also when hunting dangerous game, the mis-fire /failure rate is extreemly low with a bolt action, thats why most big game hunters, Brown Bear, African Game chose either bolts or double rifles. There are exceptions to the accurracy rule, My AR 15 (bushmaster) is inside of 3/4" at 100 yards, and it is not tricked out at all. The guys shooting at Camp Perry (military competition) regularly get 3" groups out of semi-auto .223s at 500 meters with oopen sites!! I use to sell (police supply) a Semi Auto .308 that guranteed 5" groups at 1000 meters with scope!

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    2 AR-15s and a Bushmaster M17S Bullpup.

11. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ericman, Excellent choices for coyote, woodchuck, and shall we say urban target aquisition if the @#$* hits the fan. Check your states regs you may be able to hunt with AR's for small game provided you limit your magazine size. Most states have a .25 caliber limit on larger game.
    Them AR's are a ball to shoot aren't they, I just put a 3X trijicon on mine with a surefire light rig up front!

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd love to have an EBR some day.

I found a killer deal on brand new Colt ARs recently (group buy) but I just don't have the money. I've always been interested in those Bushie Bullpups...how do you like yours, Eric?

Oh and burk, what gun was it that you sold that would do 5" groups at 1000?

brad cook

13. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Good Ole H&K PSG1, comes with matching scope at only 10 grand, got to shoot one at an ATF range, Only went out to 200 yards though, Basically rounds were going thru the same hole off the bench at that distance. There not as big a deal any more though, everybodys going to 50. cal.s and 338. lapumas for the long range stuff. Police dept.s that have money still like them though, .308s seem to sit better with public opinion. I also got to shoot MP5's at the range that day, what a blast!!! As far as sniper rifles I have a feeling the new H.S. Precision would give similar performance in a bolt for about 4 grand decked out. The HK is a semi, kinda of unusual for a long range sniper piece.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The only Sniperesque rifle I have is a stainless Remington 700 BDL in .30-06. I want to do some accurizing to it but it's pretty darn accurate stock. I've only had it since Christmas.

brad cook

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Back to the cold bluing question - I recently yanked the front site base off of my 9mm AR upper to get it ready to install a quadrail handguard. The barrel wasn't parkerized under the base, so I grabbed some Birchwood-Casey cold blue.

I cleaned up the barrel with 91% isopropyl alcohol, but was having a problem getting a decent blue on the exposed metal. I re-cleaned and degreased the area with some disc brake cleaner (the same stuff as Gun Scrubber), and the blueing took much nicer. Five coats, and it's almost black.

I guess they're not kidding when they say proper degreasing is the key!

16. My go-to accuracy tool is my vintage Savage Model 99 in .250-3000 with a wide angle 1.75 x 20 scope. It's about as versatile a rifle as you could carry - small enough caliber so you aren't guilty dropping the prairie dog at 200 yds (easily) and enough velocity and mass to kill any deer between here and Texas (easily), though I don't think the scope is quite that accurate :D
    I've personally squeezed off 1½", 3 shot, handheld groups at 100 yards on a good day. I've got a matching sister rifle in the .308 caliber but it gets to be an anchor after a few hours over the shoulder.

17. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The closest things to sniper rifles in sporting firearms are the Varmit models of the bolt actions. A good sniper rifle would be a lousy hunting rifle, most weigh 12-15 lbs. They also are usually only available in Military rounds. The big differences are, pillar bedded actions, heat disapating precision barrels, sometimes with carbon fiber sleaves. Trigger jobs. The stocks are always synthetic, and they have bipod systems attached, with adjustable cheekpieces. As far as AR's don't be afraid of the Bushmaster. There's a reason they "own" the bussiness, They can Ship, they are very reliable and extreemly accurate. You go down to Camp Perry OH. for the national military riffle competitions, the bushmasters will out number the colts about 4 to 1. Also in police SRT teams thats about all you'll see any more. Colt makes great stuff, but they have the military contract, and it seems to keep them very busy. There production of civillian wepons in any catagory is something they pretty much ignore. I oredred several Ar's from them for Police officers, mostly the nines, they didn't seem to interested in that business.

18. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey

Sorry to get a little off topic, but what is the difference between centerfire and rimfire rifles?

Vince

19. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    centerfire - the primer is a removablepart in the brass (is placed in the very center)

rimfire - the primer is built into the brass (the hammer just nicks the side or "rim" of the brass

generally, rimfire cartriges are not very powerful, and only are found in small caliber rounds like the .22 LR, .22 magnum, .17HRM and .17mach2. Though, in the old days, rimfire used to be used for larger calibers, in both pistol and rifle rounds before militaries kind of "settled" on centerfire for their rifles and pistols. Centerfire can be reloaded as the used primer can be discarded and replaced. Rimfire, since it is built into the brass, cannot.

Slick

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Generally I agree with you but Carlos Hathcock, probably the greatest marine sniper of all time, used both Winchester Model 70 and Remington 700 rifles. I think he won the 1000 yard camp perry contest with a model 70 in .300 WM. He regularly used .30-06 in Vietnam.

brad cook