1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gun Case For A Bass Case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Shopping around for a bass case for my new SX and the cheapest I could find was about $60-70. Bottom line, nothing fancy bass case, and I was ready to settle. My Dad remembered that my grandpa had a cool old gun case that he left him after he died and that it might fit a guitar since it could fit 3 guns.

He brought it home and sure enough it fits perfectly, the specs are pretty close to an actual bass case anyway. From what I am told it is from the '60's (matches my '60's style SX), black with some metal flake, this thing is pretty dont let the pictures say otherwise.

Im going to fix it up with some new latches and handles, clean it up, get new foam. Overall expected price: $30. Its perfect! Cheap, vintage, and it was my grandfather's. So instead of collecting dust Im going to put it to use for my travel case.

28hd4lc. 20rmzr5.
    1z30aqu. 1iicrb.

2. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Super... keep your eyes on it!

3. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Wow, that is sweet!

A friend of mine used to carry his Steinberger L-2 in a (soft) rifle case.

4. MikeyB

MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    You sure you have enough clearance in there? That bass looks kinda tight lengthwise.

And 2nd the post to keep your eyes on it... it screams "Vintage Guitar Inside... Please Walk Off With Me!"

Very Nice.

-M

5. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    its a little tight with this bass, my ibanez gsr200 fits great.

true. vintage comes with a price and people know that.

even if it did get walked off with i would be upset, but its not like i keep a $2000 fender in it. ($99 SX)

6. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I would actually think it funny if that got stolen - the idiot may only get $60 for his trouble after expecting thousands

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I was run through the ringer at customs once because an idiot lady though I said "rifle" when she asked me what was in my case and I said, "a bass". I swear to the truth of this story and have witnesses. :)

8. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i hope that happens to me, just to show how stupid people are.

9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

Sure, Joe, if you say so! You would never say rifle, huh?

;) :D

10. I'll never buy a bass case again:

All metal, 4 latches (all lockable), rear hinge runs the entire length of the case. This thing is a beast.

Vadim052.

Vadim009.

11. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    it looks like a bomb case. how much did it run you? (if you dont mind me asking)

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    LOL! I think you posted about that before, didn't you? Years ago when I was mixing FOH for a university touring choir, we brought back, from Africa, along with all of the sound equipment, a keyboard case filled with Zulu spears and various items made from animal hides. Thankfully customs only checked the first 4 or 5 cases and let the rest go. :smug:

13. For $20 you could have had a gig bag for that SX.... I never use a hard shell under normal circumstances. I have enough junk to lug. But having Grandpa's rifle case is kinda cool. Just not sure I would spend $30 on foam, could have put that towards a decent bridge for the SX.

14. $100 USD. The guy that built the bass (Vadim Rubstov) picked it up in Florida on one of his long distance trucking runs.

15. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i have the foam and some parts, $30 is for latches, handles, locks, all that good stuff. 30 is the max i would pay to fix this case, it might not cost that much.

plus i like the bridge that is on it for now. upgrade to a gotoh or maybe a badass later on down the road.

16. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i have plenty of gig bags. no hard cases though...

17. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... I usually have to bus or walk to gigs, so I use a gig bag. Besides... my moulded Fender case is falling to pieces!

18. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Sure, but how much does it weigh?

I've got an Anvil top-of-the-line ATA spec flight case for my Modulus. Talk about a beast! It's flown all over the country, been shipped via UPS, tossed around by airline baggage gorillas, and still as solid as the day it was made.

But I'll be damned if I can walk one city block carrying the thing before I need a defibrillator. Yeah, I'll never buy a bass case again either! :)

19. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    its a lighter case. maybe 4lb case and an 8lb bass. (guessing)