Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gun Control

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Aug 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I was hesitant to post this at first, but after the good demonstration that I saw in the "Abortion" topic, I don't think I have any worries. [​IMG]

Anyways, what's everyone's thought on gun control?? Ban or allow?? Thoughts on present laws??

2. Here in australia our Prime Minister John Howard bought in a policy to ban all guns. The only people who were issued them were policemen and Farmer's. Even so they were restricted to a certain type of gun. I am all for it, who needs them? What is the point of mowing down someone??

Anyways, thats my two cents Up the gun laws because they do work. [​IMG]

------------------
    Del: ahh Woodstock, now that was a show.
    Garth: wow, you were at woodstock?
    Wayne:alright man, party on.What was it like?
    Del: Well it rained all morning and cleared up in the afternoon. I nearly remembered something else then....."

3. I was involved in a long debate on this issue a month or so back--can't remember the thread. I hate gun control. It is immoral and based on flawed reasoning.

4. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    ::laughs:: We sure do love our controversial topics that pyss people off!

Anyway, i'm anti gun-control. Who cares anymore, it's just guns...if people didn't kill with them, they'd find something new to kill with...like spoons...

------------------
    I sleep past noon but that's okay, i'll be president someday...

5. I am very much in favor of gun control. The US Bill of Rights was written at a time when we were a second rate nation, with Britain breathing down our necks and a need to expand. The right to keep and bear arms was created so that if the US was attacked, we could field a force large enough to defeat or at least styme the Brits or Spanish. Now, when we ARE the power in the world, we don't need this. I don't mind guns, personaly. I myself own a Winchester .30-.30 lever action, Model 94, and enjoy using it. I hunt. My dad has a 12 gauge shot gun, and a .30-06 rifle. That is all we need. I don't have a pressing impulse to go buy an SKS or a Mac 10. These are non-nessacary weapons, and these should not be allowed. Here, therefore, is my version of gun control:

1. No weapon designed to fire more than one bullet per pull of the trigger would be allowed. (You only need one bullet to defend yourself)

2. No rifle/hand gun over .45 caliber would be allowed, except in very extreme cases, such as bear or elephant guns.

3. Criminals who were convicted of a crime involving their use of a gun would not be allowed to have a gun for a minimum of 15 years after their sentance was carried out.

4. Extreme fines and penalties would be envoked for anyone who broke these rules.

5. If a gun was used in a crime, a mandatory 7 or so years would be slapped on the end of the sentance, with out repreive or parole.

That gives everyone the right to have a gun, and makes some consessions. I know that it would not make EVERYONE happy, but a compromise never does.

Then again, I am not the un-empeachable zsar of the world, and this could never actually happen. Darn.

Rock on
    Eric

------------------
    Whitewater Rafting - Most sports only take one ball.

[This message has been edited by Eric Cameron (edited August 03, 2000).]

6. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Biski2Dope:
    ::laughs:: We sure do love our controversial topics that pyss people off!

Anyway, i'm anti gun-control. Who cares anymore, it's just guns...if people didn't kill with them, they'd find something new to kill with...like spoons...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just about to say that, bisk...only I would have used the term "sharp knife"! It can do the same thing....right? Ask O.J....errrr...ahhhh...I mean the....ahhh, real killer!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "Everybody got mixed feelings...About the function and the form----
    Everybody got to 'elevate', from the norm." ----N.Peart

---Later, MR

7. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric Cameron:
    The right to keep and bear arms was created so that if the US was attacked, we could field a force large enough to defeat or at least styme the Brits or Spanish. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Bill of Rights was written to protect us from our own government. The Second Amendment was created to protect us from a foreign power AND from a tyrannical and too powerful federal government.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
    1. No weapon designed to fire more than one bullet per pull of the trigger would be allowed. (You only need one bullet to defend yourself)

8. dynis

dynis

May 3, 2000
    hmmm...anyone ever hear of a drive-by knifing?
    If you are ever around an angry person who has access to a gun....you will immediately become in favor of gun control.
    I say...take away the guns and give everyone a musical instrument instead.... [​IMG]

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, well! Another controversial topic! I love it!

I guess you could say I'm for gun control, Bill Clinton wants to pass new gun laws and intimidate manufacturers like Smith & Wesson into making guns only for collectors, not for Joe Average Citizen who wants to defend himself.

There is one problem with making more gun control laws:

WE ALREADY HAVE MANY GUN CONTROL LAWS ON THE BOOKS, LOCAL, STATE AND FEDERAL, LET'S ENFORCE THE FINE LAWS WE HAVE INSTEAD OF PASSING MORE AND MORE LAWS!

sorry for the yelling..

Sapo, good catch on the often overlooked existing gun control laws, especially the one about any convicted felon ever being able to own a firearm of any type..

Convicted? ::sigh:: - I guess that means Bill can still own a gun, and Hillary for that matter..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

10. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by embellisher:

Sapo, good catch on the often overlooked existing gun control laws, especially the one about any convicted felon ever being able to own a firearm of any type..

Convicted? ::sigh:: - I guess that means Bill can still own a gun, and Hillary for that matter..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, thanks. I think lots of people are surprised when they realize all these laws already exist and they just aren't enforced.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dynis:
    hmmm...anyone ever hear of a drive-by knifing?
    If you are ever around an angry person who has access to a gun....you will immediately become in favor of gun control.
    I say...take away the guns and give everyone a musical instrument instead.... [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, yes, and by making all guns illegal, then those already-illegal automatic weapons used in drive bys will somehow disappear.

[​IMG]

cars kill more people every year than guns used in criminal activity do.

so lets ban cars - i mean, they aren't even protected in the constitution, are they?

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

12. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    i hear u john we can altake blue buses everywhere and that would help the o zone.as for gun control i just dont see y?its not gonna stop crime criminals are gonna break the law and theres nothing anyone can do about it except legalize pot so not as much crime happens

------------------
    save the trees ban john turner conklins

13. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dynis:
    hmmm...anyone ever hear of a drive-by knifing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not a "drive by", but I've heard of thousands, and thousands of "walk-by" knifings, sorry!!!
    What's that old saying??? "If looks could kill!"..BAN LOOKING!.....kidding, of course! [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------

---Later, MR

[This message has been edited by mr2112 (edited August 03, 2000).]

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I wanted to hear everyone else's opinion before I decided to voice mine. I did a report on this a few years back, so I know a little about it. Also, my bro is a cop so that helps!!

Eric, I fully and totally disagree with your saying that you only need one bullet to defend yourself. My brother has been through a class where a man was shot something like 9 times all in the chest, but even after all nine shots, he still managed to return fire and kill the officer. He died shortly thereafter, but he still managed to inflict some harm.

Sapo beat me to most of this [​IMG]

Also, someone answer this question for me. If I take a loaded, cocked, and ready to fire gun, and sit it on table pointing straight at me, will that gun, untouched, kill me?? I don't think so...my point here is that it is not the GUN that kills people. It's the maniac behind the gun that kills people. I am fully in support of gun control, meaning keeping the guns out of the hands of felons (as is already being done), and/or anybody convicted of any type of violent crime.

Just as JT said, cars kill more people than guns, so let's outlaw them!! What about knives. Thousands of people stabbed each year. What about baseball bats!! You hear of people getting hurt with those all the time!!!! GET RID OF EM!!!!

At 15 I already own a .22 pistol, a .22 rifle, a .30-06 rifle, and soon will own a shotgun. I have probably shot more bullets out of any one gun than all of you together (excluding a few of course). I, as of yet, haven't killed or even harmed anyone with a gun.

I'm sure that some of you will say, "But what about all the accidental shootings that happen with kids at home?" I can almost guarantee that those shootings would not happen if the kids were PROPERLY INTRODUCED to the guns. A kid walks into daddy's closet and see's this neat little toy laying there...etc. If the kid knew what it was, he most likely wouldn't play with it.

Anyways, that more than enough for now considering my wrist already hurts from typin this much.

P.S. This is simply my view. Please, no one take offense.

[This message has been edited by hunter585 (edited August 03, 2000).]

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, Ross, very little crime comes from potheads, believe it or not.

Your average pothead is a law abiding citizen who breaks few if any more laws than the average non potsmoker, i.e. breaking the speed limit, not coming to a complete stop at stopsigns, etc.

Most of the crime associated with drugs is of the posession and intent to distribute variety, although methamphetamine, crack and heroin are often associated with theft, unemployment, gangs, etc.

But if we end the war on drugs, just the posession and the petty intent to distribute(not the big boys, mind you) convicts freed would result in a couple of million empty cells at local, county, state and federal prisons.

In conclusion, I do agree with you. Let's end the war on our freedom and rights, er, umm, that is, 'The war on drugs'.

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

16. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunter585:
    I wanted to hear everyone else's opinion before I decided to voice mine. I did a report on this a few years back, so I know a little about it. Also, my bro is a cop so that helps!!

Eric, I fully and totally disagree with your saying that you only need one bullet to defend yourself. My brother has been through a class where a man was shot something like 9 times all in the chest, but even after all nine shots, he still managed to return fire and kill the officer. He died shortly thereafter, but he still managed to inflict some harm.

Sapo beat me to most of this [​IMG]

Also, someone answer this question for me. If I take a loaded, cocked, and ready to fire gun, and sit it on table pointing straight at me, will that gun, untouched, kill me?? I don't think so...my point here is that it is not the GUN that kills people. It's the maniac behind the gun that kills people. I am fully in support of gun control, meaning keeping the guns out of the hands of felons (as is already being done), and/or anybody convicted of any type of violent crime.

Just as JT said, cars kill more people than guns, so let's outlaw them!! What about knives. Thousands of people stabbed each year. What about baseball bats!! You hear of people getting hurt with those all the time!!!! GET RID OF EM!!!!

At 15 I already own a .22 pistol, a .22 rifle, a .30-06 rifle, and soon will own a shotgun. I have probably shot more bullets out of any one gun than all of you together (excluding a few of course). I, as of yet, haven't killed or even harmed anyone with a gun.

I'm sure that some of you will say, "But what about all the accidental shootings that happen with kids at home?" I can almost guarantee that those shootings would not happen if the kids were PROPERLY INTRODUCED to the guns. A kid walks into daddy's closet and see's this neat little toy laying there...etc. If the kid knew what it was, he most likely wouldn't play with it.

Anyways, that more than enough for now considering my wrist already hurts from typin this much.

P.S. This is simply my view. Please, no one take offense.

[This message has been edited by hunter585 (edited August 03, 2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry to quote your entire post, but I'm just lazy right now. If I read this correctly, then what I think you mean in the 2nd half of your post is....Most accidental deaths, by guns, are caused by "bad parenting", is that correct? Well, I couldn't agree more!! Parents must keep childen educated about weapons, but, more importantly, keep the weapons out of the reach of small children, (or even pissed off wives, for that matter...badum..bum)..Anyway, I think that good parenting, and responsibility, would eliminate alot of accidental shootings!

I know....."If there is no gun in the house, then that would stop accidents also." True, but hey, you can fall down the steps and accidentally kill yourself...right.....ahh....I'm rambling now, GOODNIGHT!!!

------------------

---Later, MR

[This message has been edited by mr2112 (edited August 03, 2000).]

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    LOL, no I am not really saying BAD parenting, just....."mislead" parenting. Most people think that by keeping the guns a secret that it will protect the kids. But what if the kid just happens to find it?? That is one reason I am a strong advocate of gun safes!

18. dynis

dynis

May 3, 2000
    The purpose of a car....transportation.
    The purpose of a gun....killing.

Please...let's TRY to give sensible reasons for our positions.

I have always been surprised at musicians, who are supposed to be part of the creative element in our society.....would want anything to do with ANY instrument of destruction. What other purpose does a gun serve?
    I have a lot of respect for you JT. But am VERY surprised by your position on this.
    You want Napster shut down for stealing songs, but lets keep the guns, which can steal your life. I just don't get it.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    To me, a gun is an instrument of protection, and an istrument of fun. I went skeet shooting the other day and got this monstrous purple bruise on my shoulder, but I had the time of my life. Guns aren't only for destruction. Largely, yes they are. But the purpose of one is irrelevant. What's a knife for?? Destruction. So lets ban them too! If we are going for destruction, let's ban all wrecking balls. Lets take football. People have been killed playing football. Lets ban it!! Whats its purpose?? Fun? Entertainment? But thats beside the point. People get killed!!!

At one point in time, guns were the sole source of food for a family. Our family still use guns for food (although I admit it's not our main food source.)

It all, of course, is just a matter of opinions.

20. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    The purpose of a car....transportation.
    The purpose of a gun....killing.

Please...let's TRY to give sensible reasons for our positions.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, here goes....I'm on an innocent camping trip in the woods with my, oh, I dunno, say 10 yr. old son, when SUDDENLY, a 550lb. grizzly bear, that of course, recently escaped from the nearest local zoo, is attacking my 100lb. boy....If I don't "kill" the bear with my "killing machine"...errrr..I mean "rifle", then my son, and probably me also, will be his next dinner.....get it?

In that situation, anyway, I'm glad that "the purpose of a gun.....is killing"! It's called "DEFENSE"!

Is that sensible enough??? [​IMG]

BTW, dynis...PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR ENTIRE PROFILE.....WE ALL NEED TO KNOW YOUR "TRUE" AGE....Thank you!!!!

------------------

---Later, MR

[This message has been edited by mr2112 (edited August 04, 2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.