1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gun Oil Tint?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Freddels, May 9, 2006.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm thinking of ordering an ASAT semi-hollow body and was wondering about the GOT. Is this just aesthetics or does it affect the playing at all?

I understand that with the GOT, the finish will be glossy but will that change the feel of the neck at all.

I may opt for the maple top but cannot decide on the red burst or 3 tone burst . . . hmm.

Thanks,

2. I found it to feel the same as any other gloss finish. IMHO it looks awesome with 3 tone/tobacco burst, sort of ties the neck into the body really nicely colour wise.

Whats that, you want an example? Ohh, ok then.. if I must...

l25kbody.

I reckon that yellowed neck looks nicer than stark plain maple against the body (though this is just my 2c)

3. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It does look nice!!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Its a nice neck finish and I was going to order it but after trying a bass out with it I realized I would stick to much to it when I would start to sweat.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have it on my Butterscotch ASAT with the birds eye maple fretboard & love it. Personally I think the gloss GOT does warm up the maple neck just a bit but that's just me.

It sho' is purty though.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it looks wonderful, but like Major Metal I don't like gloss finish necks due to the "sticky" factor, so I ordered my G&L with the standard satin finish.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    0000 steel wool pads will give you a satin finish and a GOT...

8. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Looks nicer but I like the satin feel better - though as stated, you can rough it up with steel wood. If anything, the GOT gives a slightly chunkier feel to the neck.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That Gun Oil Tint is gorgeous.

10. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I think it would look nicer. Especially with a birdseye maple board but since there aren't any available until possibly the fall (according to G&L website) I may opt for the rosewood board. If that's the case then I can't see spending the extra $ for the GOT on just the neck.

I've been looking real hard at that Red burst finish on maple top . . . Purrrdy!

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Many years ago I played an ASAT guitar at a shop that had the GOT neck. Now this was a regular guitar (not bass) and it was used; however the neck was actually quite satiny smooth. I loved the look too. I was surprised to find out that GOT finishes are actually more traditional in nature with a hint of stickiness. So I guess my question is what was up with that GOT necked guitar? Was it smooth while retaining the good looks of that tint because it was played for years (the guitar looked pretty new actually)? Did the previous owner take steel wool to the back of the neck (the smooth feel seemed consistent all the way up the neck with no obvious discolorations)? Or is this sticky-factor more a myth? I actually used to think GOT was another type of tung-oil finish because this guitar felt so smooth to the touch. Is there more than one sort of gun oil tint out there?

r