1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gun Suggestion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    *Let me preface this post by asking that if you're anti-gun, please stay out of this post. I'm not asking to discuss the social, legal or moral implications of gun ownership. I'm not being rude, but I'd appreciate your cooperation. Thank you.:)

I've been doing research and hunting around for a new concealed carry auto and the thought of the tried and true wheel gun never entered my mind. I was at a gun store when I happened to glance down at the Taurus Tracker revolvers and a bright light went on in my head and I though, "why didn't I think of these before?".
    I got a good look at both the 605 and 627 revolvers chambered in .357 which carry 5 rounds and 7 rounds and have 2" and 4" bbls respectively.
    Around here, they run about $350 and $425 respectively. These sound like a great deal considering the S&W's can run at least a couple hundred more.

Do any of my gun-toting bassist brothers or sisters have any experience with either of these models or Taurus revolvers in general? Is there any other companies that provide a good quality revolver for the money?

2. motoman

motoman

May 8, 2008
    Ontario canada
    Well my uncle has a taurus model 66 chambered in .357 very nice gun. taurus revolvers are a pretty good gun for the money. There one problem is customer service and sometimes parts availability there could be an improvement in that. s&w makes some of the best wheel guns out there. My recommendations is drop by a gun shop with rentals and try a few models out to see what fits.

3. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    I Own a couple of taurus handguns, but they are automatics, made in the tanfoglio factory. the quality is nice, I have little to no problems out of them.

if you are going C&C, I personally dont like the fact that most revolvers are wider than many automatics, so even if I wear a "inside the belt" holster, the bulge is noticeable.

I like wheel guns, I just don't carry mine concealed. got a nice S&W Airweight hammer-less in .38, my wife seems to like it.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It would be mainly for my wife, but I would probably carry it from time to time. I love the fact that she can shoot .38s in it and I can load .357 for carry.
    I agree about the width and that's a concern since I'm used to my 1911 single stack. I've been looking at both the Para Companion Carry and Warthog, but the latter has a double stack mag and is a bit wider.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    A revolver will never jam on you in a pinch. Personally, I'd get a .38 double action only, but I have no criticism of your choices.

6. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    My actual main carry gun is an H&K P7, Ive had it for years, its perfect for C&C, but they are getting very hard to find these days.

I have never had a jam in 10 years of carrying with an automatic, even when carrying an antique mauser HSC or WW2 1911. I shoot once a month in IDPA, so most of my weapons get used regularly and are well maintained. but as always, YMMV

7. If I get a wheelgun, it will be one chambered for .45acp. That way, I will never have to buy ammo :)

8. My wife has a P7 but prefers her CZ 75 :rolleyes:

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I thought of that too, but wife will be doing some plinking with it, so I figured that a .38/.357 would be a good way to go.

10. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Aye. Being able to practice with cheap .38's will help keep you from blowing holes in your wallet. :)

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Gotta disagree here. Revolvers jam and when they do no tap rack bang clearance drill can un#$%^ them. At the very least you will need a dowel and a mallet :smug:

I love revolvers to the point where I only have three semi autos (all 1911s :rolleyes:) in my uh... significant stash of handguns but I acknowledge that they are not the infallible machines that many think them to be (six for sure) so I always plan on a New York clearance drill when I train with one.

Back to the OP: I owned one Taurus revolver, a 669CP. It did not make it through the first range trip without a malfunction. If you mean to use it hard (I mean a hundred or so rds per month) you may as well look to Rugers, Smiths or even old Colts. Additionally, IMO, all the ballistic advantages that the 357 has over the 38 is reduced to excess flash and noise in a 2" wheelie.

12. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I own a .38 taurus, its a great little gun, getting one for my girlfriend... Not accurate, and im not really a fan of revolvers because of the grip angles but. Great and cheap..

13. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Myself, I carry a Colt 1911 Gold Cup .45 that has been tricked by my Gunsmith. It has never jammed on me and is deadly accurate. At 25 yards using a sand bag I can put 8 rounds easily in a grouping the size of a quarter. Rapid fire I can put 8 rounds within a 4" area.

My wife carries a Glock 19 9mm and the same, it has never jammed. She has small hands and can handle the Glock very nicely.

My one experience with Tauras was a semi-auto 92F, the Baretta clone. It was nice shooting handgun and if I remember right they only cost around $325 or so.

14. I grew up with wheelguns, and my experience is that for every time a revolver will jam or misfire, semi-autos will do it 5 to 10 times. YMMV, but that's my experience, including 7 years as a reserve deputy. Could be due to ammo, could be due to lead or power residue (lead buildup is the only reason I've ever had a revolver jam or be difficult to fire), but the net result doesn't matter.

BUT - for every jam or hang-fine, even in a cranky firearm like a .22 that's really picky about ammo, you'll have 100-200 shots that touch off with no problem.

So - what are the odds?

For me, I see no reason to carry concealed unless I'm going into a potentially hazardous or very isolated setting. The first thing I would do is ask myself if I really want or need to go into that setting! But given that, I'm happy with anything from a .22 with hi-vel ammo up to a .357. For a combination of stopping power with ease of carry, my choice would be my 4" barrel Diamondback in .38 SPL.

But if I'm in the outdoors and just want a snake gun, I'd rather carry my S&W Model 34 kit gun with snake loads.

15. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    That's A PT92 OR A PT99, They are both barretta "clones"
    Ive got one of each... I like them better than an actual baretta.

If you get an automatic that has feed problems, have the feed ramp professionally polished. It made a world of difference on one of my 1911's (Norinco cheap clone) that didn't like hollow point ammo.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    With all due respect, that is completely incorrect. I once had a near-brand-new Smith revolver break it's firing pin in the middle of a training class. It was completely inoperable and needed a gunsmith to fix it. My instructors were impressed, however, that I transitioned directly to my backup........ ;)

I've owned three Taurus revolvers. Each one has been a piece of poop. While each of them had different problems, they all share one issue: they would bind on one chamber. Sometimes it would cause a complete stoppage; sometimes it would just drag so heavily that it would throw off my hold. Either way, the issue rendered each one completely useless for self-defense. Taurus customer service was laughable, at best.

Spend a little more money and get a quality firearm.

17. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    S&W Model 60 in .38 is my back-up and off duty. Other co-workers have Taurus Model 85's, no problems that I've heard.

18. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Forgive me if this is the wrong thread, but it seems like a good place to ask.

Whats the point of carrying a gun around?

I'm not anti-gun at all, I used to be on my school's rifle team, and I was a shotgun/rifle/archery instructor for BSA for a short while. I'm just genuinely curious.

If I ever were to buy a handgun, I'd get a Colt SSA for sheer ridiculousness. :)

19. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    You are right, it was the PT99 in Stainless.

Yeah, my friend had a Chinese Norinco. I put his slide in my vise to tighten the fit to the frame then cleaned it up with my Dremel tool. I polished the frame and ramp of the barrel then had a friend lightly bead blast it to relief surface tension. From that point if he used full copper jacket or copper jacket hollow point he did not jam. Forget about running 200 grain wad cutter, it would jam with the soft lead almost every time.

20. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Nothing wrong with Taurus. Just a suggestion, the Ruger SP101. Big power, small package.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.