Guns N' Roses tunes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, May 1, 2001.

1. I have been learning some Guns N' Roses tunes and think they are pretty nice on bass. anybody else know some GnR, what do you think of em? what is your favorite tune?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Welcom to the Jungle, Paradise City.

And I think the new incarnation w/ Buckethead manning the guitar is a frikkin riot! I love Buckethead, and onstage, he's like a foot and a half taller than Axl...that's classic if you ask me.
  3. Yeah buckethead is awesome. I haven't heard the new incarnation tho. I bet it is good
  4. if there is one song from Guns N Roses that you need to lean on the bass is SWEET CHILD O has a cool bass intro!!!

5. and make sure that you play the song in the right's in C sharp (C#)
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, It sounds like a band covering GNR...go figure. It's different. I'm not one to make the call, I'm not really a fan of GNR, just Buckethead.
  7. Yes I dig GnR music and I am a Primus fan. I guess thats no crazier than Brain being the new drummer for the new GnR incarnation. For those that did not get my first statement, Les once said that Primus ws a reaction against bands like Guns and Roses. I love all the songs off 'A. for Destruction'. One of the guitarists in my band wants to play My Michelle(spelled wrong I'm sure) so I'm getting ready to learn the bassline. The timeing of this thread is awesome.
  8. I'm pround of myself, most succesful post so far.
  9. funny you should mention this... because up until today we have played it in D.. :) just today figured it´s supposed to be in C#... :)

and also.. I was reading today about C# (the programming language) :)
  10. C#, I thought it was in Db! ;) Yeah our band plays the beginning to that one too but we never play it all.
  11. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I can't stand axl, he's an ass, his voice irritates me, and he sucks. The rest of G&R is good though. Buckethead rocks! What was the reason that brain is no longer with primus? I too am a big fan of primus.
  12. AssMan since Primus just came to a halt some time after Antipop and the Guns N' Roses gig came up he took it. It seems when Primus becomes productive again Tim Alexander will be hittin' tha skins again, thats the rumor. Which is good for me because I happen to love ol' Herb :)
  13. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    isn't tim the orginal drummer who broke his foot skateboarding and got replaced?
  14. Yeah, Tim "Herb" Alexander was the origional drummer as far as the albums go but I think there was both another guitarist and drummer before they recorded any albums. I don't know why Tim left though.
  15. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    The Garden rocksssssssssss.. alice cooper on vocals.. ^_^
  16. duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Try playing Locomotive when drunk or even sober. Its a killer rhythm song with great lyrics:

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago,
    You know I'd like to hurt you but my conscience always tells me no,
    You could sell your body on the streets to anyone whom you might meet,
    Who would love to try to get inside and bust your innocents open wide!!!

The lyrics are ingenius!!!!

Pretty Tied Up and Don't Damn Me have some good bass lines and lyrics as well. Pretty tied is based on a true story.
  17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

( C sharp is D flat. They are enharmonic.)

My favorite Guns n Roses songs are:

Civil War
    Welcome to the Jungle
    November Rain
    Paradise City
    Live and Let Die (Cover of the Wings song)

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    True enough, But from a music notation perspective, D flat makes more sense. If you were to write this song down on standard notation in C sharp, you'd have to write seven sharps (F#, C#,G#, D#, A#, E#, and B#, in order of appearance on the staff) Instead of Db's five flats ( Bb, Eb, Ab, Db and Gb). GnR music ain't exactly the kind of stuff people sight read anyway, but It's important to know why one key signature is preferable to another.

I ain't a fan, but I always liked "Paradise City".

Will C.:cool:
  19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It´s probably because you tune in E...but GNR tuned in Eb..
  20. Yeah I was joking as I know C# is the same as Db. I did find it funny that it was said that it was in C# as people usually use b (flat) when a band tunes a half step down.