Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guns n roses?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by affro, Oct 16, 2001.

1. I was wondering if anyone here knows what setting/fx, etc i would need to go about getting the sound duff mcgann gets on the guns n roses album appetite for destruction?:D

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    play with a pick
    play a fender p or pj bass
    play a gallien krueger amp
    add chorus

that's the way....

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    barroso your on the ball. Only thing I'd change is the amp but that's 'cos I've got a Trace Elliot and that's what Duff used in most of the live stuff I'd seen. Use a smiley face setup on the EQ and bingo - instant Duff!!!! Another thing he tended to use was Rotosound strings - I think he ended up with a signature series of string for a while (black anodised superwounds), but the Swing Bass Strings, Fender Precision Bass, Trace with smiley EQ and you can't go far wrong!!!

4. I wonder.. do the leather tights make any difference in the sound ? :D

nah.. just kiddin'... i thought Duff uses a Peavey ?

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    peavey?!?!

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I think I saw him use a Jackson P Bass copy in one of their videos. And I think he uses hi-mids. You dont get hi-mids with the smiley-face EQ because the mids are cut. You cant get that loud pingy bass sound without hi-mids.