1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gunshots in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Jul 26, 2007.

1. I was asleep, so I can't be sure- but 6-10 LOUD POPS, w/accompanying flashes coming from very near my house, in a usually very quiet part of a smallish town. Called the cops; was answered w/"Are you calling about the gunshots?" :meh: I know this is nothing new for some of us, but not me. :confused:

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Same thing happened to me last week. Along with a gang shooting 4 blocks over from me. Time to move I guess..

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Maybe someone was shooting tin cans on his fence?

At my old house in the Hawksburry (far west of Sydney) people used to powerslide around the corner in their cars and fire shots at the street signs. There were so many bullet holes in it you could barely read what it said. :D

4. We are moving in a few weeks...
    Someone shooting cans would be a major event in this neck of the woods. I'm in Vacaville, a city of nearly 100,000 but still borderline hick(IMO, & I've been here 43 years).

5. I never hear gunshots in my neighborhood. But, some people seem to be setting off fireworks all year long. Always six at a time, too.

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Lots of people set them off in a park near my house... They do actually sound very similar to a gun, and usually let off 6-8 pops. Maybe it was some fool doing some backyard pyrotechnics?

7. I was being sarcastic, shoulda used a smiley. I live about two blocks from a bad, bad neighborhood.

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I often go to sleep to the sound of machine guns and bombs.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    A couple of teen agers got shot less than a mile from my house last weekend. I really have to start charging more for gigs so I can move out of the friggin ghetto!

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Really? It could have been that type of firework though, they full on sound like guns. People used to let them off all the time and leave all the packets sprawled all over the park.

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Man I'd be looking into a concealed carry permit if I lived in your neighborhood, fow show.

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    There's a difference. Granted it's slight but if you know what to listen for, you can tell.

13. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    But of course! :)

14. It could have been a fellow TB'er just celebrating an excellent paying gig! :ninja: :bag: :ninja:

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I thought guns were illegal there?

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Making them illegal doesn't make them go away.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    They are just very difficult to get and you have to have good reasons for it, but they are not necessarily totally and completely banned as I understand. Plus the more stringent laws are more of a recent thing.

Edit - let's not turn this into a guns thread though, we're goin off topic! :)

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, at least you know the police were onto it!

19. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    They aren't illegal, but very hard to obtain. Most of the people out there had illegal weapons, unregistered. Not just pistols either, 12 gauge shotty's were popular round there too.

20. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    My Aunt, Uncle and Cousins live in Vacaville, it's a really nice town, pretty upper middle class to upperclass.

A lot of upper middleclass kids are getting into the whole gangsta thing now . It's everywhere.