1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gus Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigRedX, Aug 12, 2007.

1. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    Just arrived this week and I've spent all my free time playing it!

Gus G3 fretless 4-string in deep blue sparkle and bright chrome finish:

DSC01424.
    DSC01425.
    DSC01427.
    DSC01428.

Goes nicely with my all matt black stealth G3 fretted 5-string:

DSC01440.

And just to complete the look a G1 Vibrato G**t*r

DSC01438.

Shiny!

Anyone else here own a Gus? Pics please!

2. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    Very unique........:eek:

3. Wow!! I never heard of them, must Google!!

Very interesting. The bridge looks very unique along with the rest of the design.

4. Cool website!! A very complex building process. Probably the best looking and most equiped luthiers shop I've ever seen. They build everything including their bridges, most hardware and pickups!! I'm impressed :)

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Very interesting. What sort of base prices do these carry? I couldn't find anything about that on their website.

6. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    What a neat bass !

7. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    i've never heard of these before...they look like concept basses from the future.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Cool site.
    Not my cup of tea.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Wow! Cool stuff... :cool:

I'm intrigued by the potential of the five-string MIDI bass...

So, how do they sound, BigRedX?

MM

10. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    The Gus website doesn't give prices, but they quote some reviewer saying that for the price charged, it damn well better blow you away. There is a review from 2000 (7 years ago) that gave the price of the guitar at 1600 British Pounds. Maybe upper $3K range US. No price I could find on the bass, but looks pretty similar. I'd figure a 4-month wait and $4K price. The don't make a 6-string.

11. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    Didn't they switch to Intel two years ago?

Gruesse, Pablo

12. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    Thanks for all the comments.

The futuristic vibe is one of the things which attracted me to them in the first place - along with the sound. The black 5-string is passive, but it's probably the loudest fullest sounding bass I've ever played. No problem cutting through the mix. I use the tone controls on my amp mainly to cut out the frequencies I don't want and I end up with a nice fat bass sound the fits prefectly in the mix with plenty of individual note articulation.

The fretless 4-string is active but with some interesting pick-up switching which instead of having the more usual blend control offers either single pickups or the two wire together like a humbucker in either series or parallel. I'm still getting to grips with the tone shaping opportunities and haven't yet had a chance to try it at a band rehearsal yet, but again I doubt I'll have any problems getting it to fit into the mix. Played solo I've found a couple of settings that have plenty of rounded full bottom end, but still allow the high notes to sing. Solo the bridge pickup and there's plenty of mwah without it ever being to bright and brittle.

Gus are pretty much a one man opperation. Simon Farmer has been developing his ideas for making guitars and basses since the mid to late 80s - I can remember being intersted in his work since seeing photos of his prototype guitars in the UK instrument press from around that time. I never really thought I'd be lucky enough to own three of them eventually!

The prices aren't cheap even by UK standards - I believe that the list price of the basses is now around the £3000 mark, but if you like the look and the sound then IMO they are worth every penny. Simon makes all the parts for the bass except the machine heads, strap buttons, fret wire and electronic components himself. The bridge is a smart piece of design and engineering - especially the vibrato version on the guitar which has the smoothest action ever for a non-locking unit. From dicussions I've had with Simon, I'm sure that a 6-string would be possible, however because of the way the bodies and necks are constucted it would probably be significantly more expensive than one of the standard confiurations he already offers. I do know that he's been making some more custom options recently - hopefully there will be details and pictures on the site soon.

I realise that looks-wise they're not for everyone, however they're definitely my kind of bass. They have a vibe that out of the other radical looking basses only the BassLab LoBows and Spalt Hybrids have managed to approach, but I don't think that either of those have quite the elegance of the Gus.

13. £3000 ??? Jebus, I hope they come with a red-carpet that you can unroll before stepping onstage...

BigRedX, can you post sound clips? I'd be interested to hear one of these axes.

14. Some Groovy Guy

Some Groovy Guy

Sep 28, 2006
    Vancouver
    ew. Not my bag dude.

But as long as you like em.

15. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I've seen these in the "small ads" in UK music mags, ever since I began playing in the mid-80s.

Finally, I've "met" someone who owns one (three ;) ) :eek:

So, what does the fretted bass sound "like", BigRedX? Can you compare the tone to any other brand (Status, Wal, Alembic? :meh: )

Are they heavy? Balance well? What style of music are you using them for?

:)