1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gut-a-like

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ricobasso, Aug 4, 2012.

1. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    Anyone tried these strings? http://www.gut-a-like.de

It would be nice if there really was a string which was easy to slap and easy to bow.

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Haven't tried 'em, but from another English web description, they seem to be your basic weedwacker string. Other's have been able to pull some sort of sound out of them with a bow, I was never able to (and yes, that's after sanding, applying rosing directly to the strings etc - heck, maybe I'll try again though).

My personal opinion on the different weedwacker brands is this: if you don't feel like ordering your own line and cutting dyeing it yourself, buy the sets that are a) the cheapest, b) from someone you personally like, or whose business you want to support c) wherever you can get the colour you want.

Once they stretch in, they probably wind up sounding the same...

Again, just IMO.

3. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    No offence Moles, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually tried them.

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sure, no offence taken - I'm curious to hear others' actual experience with them too. There were probably a thread or too on RABB on them...

That being said, have you any experience with other weedwacker strings?

5. George700DL

George700DL

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I have NOT tried these, but after reading the text and looking at the pictures, I would consider consider them. Thinking about ordering a set as a backup. I have a 3-stringer, so I'd probably use the E,A,D and tune them up to A,D,G on my bass. I could pretty much guarantee I could bow these.

Thanks for the link.

George

6. ricobasso

ricobasso

Jan 18, 2007
    UK, South East
    Yes, I bought a set of plain black weedwackers a while back. I thought they were pathetic sounding. I took them off after a week and sold them.
    The Gut-a-like blurb reads as though they are quite a bit different to weedwackers though. That's why I asked if anyone had tried them.