1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gut cut info.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    How do you do your gut cuts? Keeping clean sharp lines and transforming into the forearm cut. Post your technique please.

Thanks

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    chisels, rasps, files, and sand paper wraped around a large half round block. in that order, and then a random orbital sander

3. 36-grit flapper disc on an angle grinder, then random orbital sander - strictly by eye.

I think I need a smaller gut....

4. kutzall carbide wheel on an angle grinder or pneumatic drum sander followed by with the dual orbital sander or flap sander.

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I start off by roughing the cut with an electric angle grinder with a Lancelot II 'grinding wheel' (it's a really chainsaw chain in a special holder)

LeftyProto_ReadyToCarveTummyCut.

and then detail it with a spokeshave, cabinet scraper, and finally an orbital sander

LeftyProto_TummyCutFinished.

(for reference, that's unsteamed American Cherry sandwiching a lightweight Ash core and Wenge accent veneers)

all the best,

R

6. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ooh guys, your taking away from the fun of the hand tools. i mean, its great to be able to do it in 10 minutes, but wheres the good in that. on a nice day in the summer, i crack open the garage door, set my bench over by it, and chisel and rasp all after noon, its great fun.

7. I use a very coarse, rounded wood rasp then, very coarse sandpaper on a large rounded sanding block. I also use a little Black & Decker electric sander called a "Mouse" it has a pointed tip and can work well in different positions and angles. Very coarse sand paper makes the job much faster while you are just shaping the body.

8. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks. Rodent that Lancelot wheel looks scary but in a good way.:)

9. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    36 grit flap disk on a 4" makita angle grinder, then files rasp and the ol Black and Decker sander with 80 grit, forearm cut is done the same way.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    14" Farriers file, nice and rough on one side, smoother one the other, then hand sand 80 > 220 > 320 > 400. I like the gradual process.

Headlessbuild2-20-09001.
    Headlessbuild2-20-09002.

11. modwickman2020

modwickman2020

Mar 20, 2004
    Ohio
    ARRRRRR.

12. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    It takes a little while, but a violin-maker's finger plane is a really awesome tool for shaping - especially concave surfaces.

13. Well - its good when you've got about 12 minutes to get the job done! :rollno:

14. I like to use a 60-grit flap disc, farrier file, round rasp, orbital sander, then finish it off by hand with varying grits of sandpaper

15. I've only done one - but my 'flex drum sander' with various grades of sandpaper seemed to handle the job very nicely!

P1010012-1.

16. I believe we have the same tool box, or you stole mine....:ninja:

17. meandi

meandi

Aug 5, 2007
    Another vote for the farriers rasp.
    Moves a lot of material in a hurry, but in a controlled manner.
    display2-1.

18. meandi

meandi

Aug 5, 2007
    I also use the chainsaw disc for roughing in my top & back plates on my archtop acoustics...with much care I might add, it would mess you up in a hurry.:)

19. I'm sold! I'm getting some tomorrow.

Great pic, by the way.

20. meandi

meandi

Aug 5, 2007
    Thanks