1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gut+metal: mix and match????

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ethnotime, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ethnotime

ethnotime

Sep 24, 2006
    Northampton, MA
    Hello,
    I'm considering going back to Damian's G and D gut strings. Previously I had been using Weich A and E but I'm considering using other strings: any suggestions?

2. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    I like Dominants. On my ply, they match up well with guts in re tone, volume, and feel.

3. Before I bought a full set of guts I had my bass set up with Gut G/D and Innovation Silver Slap A/E. Matched up very well both tension-wise and tone.

Joe

P.S. Once again a big thank you to Uncle Toad!

4. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Pirastro Permanents. Work beautifully with guts.

5. I know this isn't exactly what the thread is about, but have you tried Pirastro "pizzicato" strings, which are covered gut.
    The E and A are really stable( at least they were for me), they sound fantastic, and bow fantastically too( surprisingly, because of their name). The metal wound G and D, I destroyed in 6 days. They didn't snap, just the winding came away. They bowed really well too, by the way. I then got G and D plastic wound on gut, which sounded and played great, but didn't bow of course. I then went back to Thomastic superflexibles again, but they are a compromise.
    The "Pizzicato" E and A might be a good match for an unwound gut G and D. I might try that myself when I can afford it. They stabalise after about 2 weeks.

6. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    You're the first I've heard to say that the Pizzicatos bow well. I tried them and found them terrible under the bow and I know many others have had the same experience.

7. The set they sent me to test might have been an early set, and they changed the specs? is all I can think of. I had them on my big german bass which had had some work done at Bridgwood and Neitzert(luthiers) and I had taken it in for sound post adjustment because of the change to gut, and the guy there agreed they bowed well, so I don't think its just my lack of judgment . I'm no classical player though, and you might expect a lot more from a string than I do. Are you thinking of the Plastic covered G and D, which ,as I said ,don't bow at all??? I also use a lot less rosin on gut, but you know this Adrian, because your top two strings are uncovered Gut . Strange, maybe I will have to put them on again just to see if my recollection of them is right? Have you got ones there that you can retry?

8. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually I had an early set that they sent me for testing. I tried the wound G and D and found the whole set was not that great for arco. Others I know of on the 2xbasslist said the same things. The nylon covered G is of course pretty much impossible to bow.

9. Actually .... the set they sent me was even earlier :spit: , they hadn't even made them yet, in fact the company hadn't even been founded when they sent me my set... but try and tell the kids today that, and they won't believe you!
    OK, I guess this means you won't be recommending them for bowing then?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021