1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gut Question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassoakoustiko, Jan 18, 2012.

1. New to gut. Have been using a LaBella G & D for a couple weeks now. Love it! Decided to jump in and invest in gamuts so i got a light + Lyon G here on TB.

I installed it 3 days ago I'm noticing some buzzing primarily around B through E. Did not experience this with the La Bella's.

Some variables.....
    It's a new fingerboard. 3 months old. Maybe it needs to be touched up?

The Light + Lyon G has less tension and is considerable thinner the La Bella G. Could this play a role?

My action is not super high but relatively. Could it need to be raised? The adjusters are already jacked up and I'm afraid if I raise it anymore it will slip. I really hope i don't have to get a new bridge cut!

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    That's a lot of buzz! Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Have you run your fingers up and down the string to feel for irregularities on its surface? I'd do that first. Do the same with your fingerboard- run your fingers lightly up and down the surface, especially in the higher positions.

It may need oiling- just a guess there...it can't hurt to try.

Good luck,

Joe

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Part of the problem might be the weight of the string. I started out with a Medium Gamut Lyon and had to go to a Heavy. The Medium was just too rubberbandy for my taste. The thicker strings are stiffer. Raising your strings will also make them feel more tense.

You can test the location of the buzz by finding the buzz and then plucking the string between your finger and the nut. THis should give you an idea of the location of the buzz.

DC is right about the surface of the string. The problem is I've found the Lyon to not be a terribly smooth string. When I get strange buzzes I identify the location of the buzz and lightly sand (with very fine sandpaper) near the buzz and a little south of the buzz. Sometimes running a match over it can burn off any hairs that sanding stands up. Oil at the end.

I consider some errant noises part of the character of gut though. Certainly a buzz the renders the note unusable is an issue but with steel you can get a buzzless sound that will last for months. With gut it's different every time I take my bass out of the case.

4. I'm far from an expert, but it sounds like this might be a case of too little relief in the board.

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i got that too when i put on my pistoy's. i didnt change the bridge height from the hieght i had it with the steels. i know the action came up slightly due to there being less tension on the top, but i dont want to raise it more. i think with steel strings you can get away with a flatter fingerboard (length wise) and since guts have a bigger amplitued of vibration you need to take some wood out of the middle area. im not yet willing to make this kind of commitment to gut though! so ill just deal with it for now, its minor. raising your action slightly will probably help

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I didn't change the camber of my fingerboard when I switched to gut. I just raised the bridge. I took it to my luthier and he didn't see any reason to put more scoop. If you are worried take it to your luthier.

7. Ok...so I tried oiling the string. Buzz still there.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I raised my bridge with Lyons as well. Thing is, you can jack em up as high as you want cuz the tension doesn't really change.

9. Took the Lyon off and put the LaBella back on - buzz disappears! The bass really likes the tension of the LaBella. Me-not so much. However I like the thickness.

So my next question is what type of Gamut G to try next?

10. Hdiddy-

Thats where my experiment fails-I would like to raise the action a bit more to see if that solves the buzz but I am afraid the adjusters will fail if I go any higher.

11. Think I can go higher?

image-592277309.
    Pic of the how high the adjusters are.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Gotta love that.