1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gut question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Marc Piane, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I decided to celebrate 2013 by installing a new string. I can't get the knot situate quite the way I would like. Is this cool? ImageUploadedByTalkBass.com1357579304.115613.jpg

2. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    Hey Marco,
    I can't comment directly but it looks pretty stable to me... I've never actually used the loops on the the plain gut strings I've had on my bass. The knots have always been as big or bigger than the ball ends on most other string sets.
    -J

3. If it bothers you, you could slack the string and rotate the knot behind the tailpiece, but that would cost you some of the stretching-in the string has already done.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks. It doesn't 'bother' me at all. The last one seemed to fit better.

5. What are those?

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    It's a Gamut Lyon. It's not my first time at this rodeo. I just like how they fit when the knot is behind the tailpiece but this came pre-tied.

Anyway. It's all good. I'm not taking it off to change something unless someone thinks there is something bad about this. Thanks gents.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    FWIW: That's how I had mine. If it ends up like that, well you can either retie it so that the knot isn't visible but it should be fine.

8. Them are chebas.

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    For fun I emailed Dan Larson at Gamut. He said it's just fine.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021