1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gut-sounding steel strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by salparadise, Oct 13, 2006.

1. salparadise

salparadise

Oct 11, 2006
    miami, fl
    I really love the feel and sound of gut strings, however I am a vegetarian and have two cats. Needless to say, I have a bit of a moral dilemma on my hands. Does anyone know of any steel strings that sound and feel like gut strings? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. First, you might be interested in the fact that gut strings are made from sheep intestines.

There are lots of high-quality alternatives to gut strings, however everything is a tradeoff and nothing really sounds and feels like the real thing.

But anyway, here are some ideas to get you started. I suggest you use the search function, and the newbie links for more information.

• Velvet strings (silk cores): Garbo, Anima, 180
    • Synthetic strings: Obligato, Dominant.
    • Steel strings: Jargar, Flexocor.
    Of all those, the Garbos are the closest to plain gut strings, in my opinion. They are however even harder to bow than plain gut. Animas are slightly better in that regard. Obligatos and Dominants are much brighter/growlier than gut, and the dark orchestral Jargars and Flexocors are thumpy, but are also much thinner than gut, resulting in a different feel.

Hope that helps!

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Not that this will solve your problem, but gut strings are usually made from sheep's intestines.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That would be just like eating Roast Lamb!! ;)

5. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Definitely more appealing than cat, IMO. :eek:

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Especially with Mint sauce! :)

Actually I think there's some moral dilemma between being a vegetarian and a cat-lover - so I can remember putting out peanuts for the birds, whereupon the cats feasted on raw BlueTits - which was very sad!

And they would always be bringing you small mammals as "presents".....:(

7. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    It's quite difficult to get cats to pay heed to sociopolitical issues. Shoot, it's hard to get them to pay attention to anything. :D

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Man just the idea.......................that would take a lot of cats, poor little cats. Now if you were to use the cast of cats, well that might be ok though, even to this vegetarian :p

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    What does cats or vegetarian have to do with Sheep Guts?

Nothing sounds like Gut rolling off your fingers or a Bow like Gut itself. Jargar sound softer with a gut-like 'boom' as well as broken-in Flexocor 92s. Synthetic strings sound synthetic but flat wound gut like Eudoxa and Oliv are the best of both the Gut n Steel mixtures depending on what you like. I just strung up one of my Basses with traditional Gut (un-varnished but I oiled them) G and D and fine Silver roundwound over Gut A and E. Reminds me of my Highschool days except these are much better than we had in school not to mention the Bass they are on (my Bisiach labelled Bass)... Baaaa Baaaaa.. Baaaaaaaa..

10. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    this is true.
    the animas aren't really like gut.
    the Oliv's are awesome, Eudoxas are too.
    the flexocor are going to be the closest to gut that i'm aware of as far as steel goes...awesome arco too.
    I haven't tried Jargar.

Ken, are the Guts loud on your bass?
    I think the Oliv's on my bass are louder than the flexocor of the Animas were...strings are pretty high up though...maybe 9-10mm on the G string.
    The Gamut G string I had for a while was loud too at those heights...I was not confident in finding any steel A and E to match the plain gut sound arco so I switched to the Oliv's, my favorite so far.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Does this mean you think Oblis and Doms have a "synthetic" sound or did you mean that they don't sound like gut. I could agree with the latter, not the former. Just wondering what you meant.

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    everyone talks about getting a "gut-like" sound from steel strings.....this can sometimes maybe occur a little bit while playing pizz, but the arco gut sound..........well, you need some dead animal excerpts for that one. Actually, that keeps me on gut strings more than the pizz sound. I wold doubt that there's a steel string that can do it.....any comments on that?

13. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I have zero experience with these, and to be honest, I have never tried a set of gut strings, but I have had many people tell me that weedwhacker strings sound and feel like gut. There's a soundclip here-- http://www.traditionmusic.com/hbss.mp3 --they sound like big rubberbands to me. "Hillbilly Larry" at tradition music will sell you a set for 25 bucks.

Animas have a very nice feel, very soft under the fingers and they have a nice pull. I've had people tell me they sound like gut and others say they sound nothing like gut. I had them on my bass for close to a year and really liked them--they are very different from any other string I've ever played.

14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

The Bass seems slightly louder but a different type of tone as well. I had a used set or Flex Starks on there before. I also tried reg Flex and Orig Flex. The Guts are like a new toy thing for me as this is not my main Bass.

15. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The Obligatos to me sound nice but not exactly Steel or Gut. Sorry for my choice of words but they sound different. I havent used the Dominants, sry. Years ago I had a strings by Rotosound on my Italian Bass. They were similar to Obligatos. They don't make that set anymore.

16. David Wiener

David Wiener Inactive

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Ken- If you are talking about Rotosound Supremes, I have used them for almost 30 years and love them. They are a little bright when they first go on but after a few weeks they really settle in and take on a very full sound. They are very punchy with alot of sustain for jazz and bow very easily. They aren't quite as focused as metal Flexocors but they are easier to bow, feel like gut (easier on the hands) and are great for jazz. They are the closest thing to the best of both worlds.

Barrie Kolstein still has quite a few sets available for those who want to try them.

Best regards, Dave

17. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Barrie Kolstein still has quite a few sets available for those who want to try them?? Not for long...

Loose Lips sink Ships!!!!!

How did the Jaegars work out? How is that beautiful Dodd doing as well.

18. GriffithLea

GriffithLea

Aug 29, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Cast of cats - heh heh, that reminds me:

http://www.jugglingcats.com/video/cat_herding1.htm

My favorite line: "I wouldn't do nuthin' else." .

19. Bruce Lindfield

You can hear them sounding pretty nice on Ed Fuqua's recordings that are around here - good enough for me! :)

20. David Wiener

David Wiener Inactive

Sep 30, 2005
    Huntington, NY
    Hi Ken- The Dodd never fails to amaze me. It is a great instrument with really sweet singing highs and a very deep bottom but with definition when bowing. It also really punches. I have the Pirastro Flex Originals on now which I like alot for classical. I haven't had a chance to try the Jaegars yet but will due so soon. I have been playing too much to change strings at the moment. Don't like to change strings unless they have a little time to settle in before I have to play out.

I have Rotosound Supremes on my Hawkes which I use for jazz. I really love these strings on the Hawkes for jazz and classical as they punch, feel like gut and bow very easily.

Best regards, Dave