Gut/steel mixed set

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Josh McNutt, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    I love the gut sound, but they're expensive. I can get pretty close to the sound I want with the steel A/E strings, but I can't with the D/G. Would it be feasible to only buy gut for the top two and use steel on the bottom, or would that just be way too weird? I'm referring not only to bowing feel, but to the pizz hand and the left hand as well.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    For a while I used a Helicore Hybrid E&A with Pirastro Olive D&G's(chrome wrapped gut). Gives a nice sustain on the low end with a lot of growl. Nice sweet thick top end. However, it doesn't give you the "center" or fundamental of gut A & E strings. I am now using Olives on top and Eudoxas on the bottom. Lots of $$$ but the tone is worth it, especially if you play acoustic alot and want to get that oldschool tone. There are a few synthetic strings on the market that can get really close to gut with many of the benefits of both(gut and steel). The Pirastro Obligato is a great string. Very gut-like, with a nice clear tone. Easy to bow too.
  3. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    Yeah. I've considered Obligatos, but a lot of people seem to have problems with them unwinding or something. I wanna check out those new Kolstein strings. My mixing question was basically from an economic standpoint, and most of your objections seem like things that someone economically-challenged, like myself, could get over. One thing I was wondering about was the tension differences and resulting action differences that are usually associated with gut. Did you guys just find an in-between action?
  4. delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Josh- I use Obligatos on my carved bass....they are a great string for a gut like tone/feel and they bow well too. I have had mine on for just over 6 months gigging 5-6 nights a week+2-3 hours practice per day and have had no problems with unwinding or anything. At $95-100 per set, I think they are worth a try.