1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gut String Help....

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TLATX, Mar 10, 2018.

1. TLATX

TLATX

Mar 10, 2018
    I’m trying to find a replacement for my current D gut string. My E and A are medium Spiros and my G is a Pirastro plain gut. Unfortunately, I can’t remember what the D string was...(it may be a lezner)
    The problem is, it feels floppy compared to the E,A and G which all have a similar feel with my plucking hand. I primarily play western swing pizz/slap and a bit of jazz. Any suggestions on a D string with a bit more plucking tension?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Get a eudoxa D. If you like the G the D is more of the same

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    So to confirm you have a plain gut D with a wrapped G? Interesting. I would say get an Eudoxa or if it's too expensive olive

4. TLATX

TLATX

Mar 10, 2018
    Actually no...it is not wrapped but it is a
    No...it is a Pirastro but must not be a Eudoxa as it is not wrapped. I looked at the receipt and it said Eudoxa but it can’t be. Assuming it is a Chorda?

5. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    If it's a pirastro plain gut string then it's a chorda most likely a Normal one. I would try the chorda D string

6. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Or actually I personally would try an Oliv D next to a plain gut G as I think it would transition better

7. You want the D to feel on the light side for clarity of response. Heavy D and E strings thud rather than yield defined pitch. One of the many fun things about being a gut player.

8. TLATX

TLATX

Mar 10, 2018
    Tonally, I don’t mind the sound of the d I have. It just feels so much different than the other 3....floppy and loose. Would a lighter D gut string feel firmer when plucked?

9. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas