Gut String Help....

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TLATX, Mar 10, 2018.

1. TLATX

TLATX

Mar 10, 2018
    I’m trying to find a replacement for my current D gut string. My E and A are medium Spiros and my G is a Pirastro plain gut. Unfortunately, I can’t remember what the D string was...(it may be a lezner)
    The problem is, it feels floppy compared to the E,A and G which all have a similar feel with my plucking hand. I primarily play western swing pizz/slap and a bit of jazz. Any suggestions on a D string with a bit more plucking tension?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  2. Grant the Canuk

Grant the Canuk Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Stratford, PEI. Canada
    Get a eudoxa D. If you like the G the D is more of the same

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    So to confirm you have a plain gut D with a wrapped G? Interesting. I would say get an Eudoxa or if it's too expensive olive

4. TLATX

TLATX

Mar 10, 2018
    Actually no...it is not wrapped but it is a
    No...it is a Pirastro but must not be a Eudoxa as it is not wrapped. I looked at the receipt and it said Eudoxa but it can’t be. Assuming it is a Chorda?

5. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    If it's a pirastro plain gut string then it's a chorda most likely a Normal one. I would try the chorda D string

6. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    Or actually I personally would try an Oliv D next to a plain gut G as I think it would transition better

7. You want the D to feel on the light side for clarity of response. Heavy D and E strings thud rather than yield defined pitch. One of the many fun things about being a gut player.

8. TLATX

TLATX

Mar 10, 2018
    Tonally, I don’t mind the sound of the d I have. It just feels so much different than the other 3....floppy and loose. Would a lighter D gut string feel firmer when plucked?

9. ctxbass

ctxbass

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas