1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gut string help!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ERIC A, Oct 16, 2020.

1. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

I have done 3 gigs this week and have noticed something that I've never noticed before. I have gut D And G strings (gamut) that feel both wet and sticky for lack of better words. Has anybody ever experienced this before and if so what did you do to fix it? I find them hard to play and sound less than Pleasing. Thanks for your help!

2. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Do you clean and oil your strings? That`s what I did when they started feeling / behaving weird.

ERIC A likes this.
  3. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

I did.... with walnut oil.

4. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Do you clean rosin off from strings after playing? I had a stickyness issue with Pistoy and the way they are wound, especially the plain A. Rosin cleaning prochedure helped a bit. At some point I also realized that the stickyness was more of a issue on higher pressure situations that had me going for it a bit too much and playing with heavier than usual right hand. Hot temperatures didn`t help either.

ERIC A likes this.
  5. 834federal

834federal David Brodie Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Philadelphia
    In my experience mineral oil is the one to use. It doesn’t turn rancid. Hope that helps!

6. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    My suggestion is to wipe everything down with a clean towel or rag, especially the fingerboard, both during and right after the gig. A lot of the gunk buildup is actually there as well as on the strings. Make sure the strings and board are as clean as possible. I use rubbing alcohol(~70% from the pharmacy) on a paper towel. Apply a small amount of oil(I use mineral oil) also with a paper towel. Allow it to penetrate for a few minutes to a few hours. Then wipe off all of the excess. The strings should feel smooth and silky but dry, not slimy.
    If the weather is really hot/humid you may need to do this often.
    I usually clip the hairs and then touch them with a lighter after. When the strings are dry and dirty, the hairs tend to be harder to deal with.
    Paper towels are really good because they are ever so slightly abrasive. The light duty kitchen scrubbers also work great.
    -J

Reiska and ERIC A like this.
  7. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Best to use oil with neutral ph, I learned at some point. I used linseed and walnut oil succesfully.

ERIC A likes this.
  8. I notice that happens when I play somewhere humid. It feels like the strings suck the humidity and they get sticky and gross. I think oiling the strings can help to an extent, but I think some of it is inevitable. If humidity is the issue, it usually gets better on its own if you take it out of the humidity for a while, in my experience.

ERIC A likes this.