1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gut String Records Presents...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by gems07111, Oct 4, 2017.

1. We Worked In The Bricks, The new album from The Jamale Davis Quintet, out now on CDBaby.
    Check out some of the latest videos for the album:

2. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Great playing, thanks for posting. Love the classic gut arco sound - what strings do you use?

John Chambliss likes this.
  3. Clearly you know more about playing bop than I ever will, but I'm curious about your bow technique.

I can play French on steel strings up by the fingerboard, but on gut I can't get a sound unless I play a heavy old German bow down by the bridge.

4. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Nice!

5. ... Thanks LowG!! I use Chorda (Ben Wolfe editions) on the G and D, plain gut Gamut on the A and wrapped gut Gamut on the E. it's a little tricky because the A string is bigger than the E string! But it works for me..

6. Thanks John. Glad you dig it..

John Chambliss likes this.
  7. Hey KUNGfuSHERIFF, thanks for checking out the videos. Guts can be bit more demanding with connection to the bow and the amount of weight needed to move those strings consistently. I tend to use full bow contact, as opposed to rotating the bow as you get higher. No, full contact with bow hair all the time for me. I imagine that your best bet is to check out baroque bow players and their technique, as that may be closer to french style. They deal with gut strings a lot more with that over the hand style, with great success. I hope this helps!

Reiska likes this.
  8. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    Great palying, great quintet! Bravo! I like your sound very much and the sound of this home recording. Very nice. Can you describe what type of microphone do you use? It seems one for DB, one for the reeds, one for drums and one for ampli. Right? What mics? And directly to a digital rec or through a mixer? Many cpmpliments. All the best from Italy.

9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Those seem to be EV 635 A's ... Being Gut String Records Neal Miner's and guessing that he might be the engineer and/or producer on this sessions. He always captures that live, atmospheric and raw sound that I like so much.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    tito mangialajo likes this.
  10. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think you're right on the mics. I remember seeing those micing up the whole band on old Soul Train live performances.

11. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    Stephen Riley! One of my favorite musicians on the planet.

12. Hey Tito, Thank you, I'm glad you liked the videos. i'm very happy the album on a whole..
    You may want to reach out to Neal Miner, bassist extraordinaire who've recorded both of my albums with his equipment. I think he's still a presence on Talkbass as well..

tito mangialajo likes this.
  13. Yeah, me too. The years of playing with him in Ned Goold's group was tons of laughs.. here's a promo vid from those times..

MLysh and Joshua like this.