Gut string tunings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bbirozy, Jul 16, 2019.

1. bbirozy

bbirozy

Sep 11, 2018
    Beginning jazz bassist. Saw a jazz bass online with gut strings. For those of you who use gut strings, do they tune to the standard A=440? Or do they tune lower?

Thanks for the help.

2. They should more than likely tune to A=440

3. bbirozy

bbirozy

Sep 11, 2018
    Thanks. Just making sure. As someone who has more than a few years in classical and orchestral playing, I know from experience most stringed instruments with gut strings are tuned to 415 as they are often 'baroque'. However, I expected the jazz community would be different. Thanks for the input.

Reiska and Sam Dingle like this.
  4. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Whatever music and people you`re playing with. Guts are associated with early music and lesser than norm 440 - 443 Hz tuning and that`s why some manufacturers have very hard time showing tension fiqures / gauges that make any sense. My wild quess goes that there are great number of bass players who are pretty confused with the parameters that top of the line string manufacturers present, beeing that the original manufacturer based the business on delivering strings for perioid instruments. If you need your guts for anything else, like a great pizz tone like on the Record, or to be heard acoustically in a mix, just forget about those parameters and ask for contemporary variables of roots and jazz music, pizz playing. I have a Pistoy light plain A under no-name gut DG with reasonably high action on my bass and it`s going strong at 440 or 442 tuning, I play dominantly pizzicato. With that said, you can`t get that arco tone and feel any other way.

bbirozy likes this.
  5. bbirozy

bbirozy

Sep 11, 2018
    Thanks for the help. I was planning on playing mostly pizzicato, but I might sneak a bit of bow in there once and a while.

Reiska likes this.
  6. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland

7. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland

John Chambliss and bbirozy like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021