Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gut strings on a 5/8 ths and getting the right tension/top pressure

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Andrew Jones, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I have a 5/8 ths plywood double bass with a 39 3/4 inch scale length . I play lots of blues gigs and I do a fair amount of slappin Ive allways wanted that gut string tone that I hear guys like roy huskey jr get.

My question is what are all the techniques for getting enough pressure to the top to get good tone. Ive heard about these listed below and I was wondering what hold's water( I did some search's and ended up very confused.) Does anyone have enough expierience to tell me wether the tact might be right but the results will be usatisfactory considering the shorter scale length.

1)setting the nech back so the angle compared to the bass gets greater

2) shorter tail peice

3)graduated tail piece (same school a number 2 just applying it to the E more)

Any thoughts

AJ

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm not a luthier-sort, but I don't think 2) or 3) would do anything at all but make sure that the windings don't reach the bridge.

3. This is the only thing out of the 3 that will change the geometry so that more pressure (force) is applied to the top through string tension.

A lower saddle will do this, but most basses have a low saddle so that the extra few millimeters that could be shaved off would make only a negligible difference.

A shim under the fingerboard will do this, especially a tapered shim. I did this, and the fatter neck is much nicer to play on.