1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gut strings on an EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by allroundbassnut, Aug 7, 2012.

1. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    any point? thinking of getting some new strings. would gut just be pointless on an EUB, because i love their feel.

2. I have guts on my double bass, and I also wanted them for my EUB, but I didn't think that the beautiful sound would make it though an electronic instrument. I tried weedwhackers, and I think that they feel close enough to guts. I have EP regulars for the E and A, and I spent $20 on a set of eBay weedwhackers. It sounds okay, too.

3. As long as you have a piezo pickup, you can use any string you want.

4. Gut on an EUB will make a signal if you have a piezo pickup but without a body chamber you lose that nice boom you get from guts on a DB. In my experience all you get is a dead thud.

5. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    so how do guts sound mr paul barsic?

6. Great!

7. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    so disagreeing with mr kung fu? how much did the guts cost you?

8. No, I think that he is right. I have weedwhackers on my EUB and guts on the double bass.

9. JimCurl

JimCurl

Jul 4, 2012
    Hey Guys
    Just wondered if guts strings sound anything like this on the link?
    Any ones feedback most appreciated.
    How long do they last?

10. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    Paul Barsic - could you somehow send me a sample of how it sounds, what UEB you using?