Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guts & Dogs

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Barefoot Larry, Feb 23, 2003.

1. I saw this in another forum, and thought I'd pass it on. It makes great sense, but is something that never occured to me...
    I'll share a painful lesson I learned by mistake last night. I was doing some work on one of my basses. I took the three plain gut strings and Eudoxa E string off so I could file a little and get rid of some minor buzzes. I had to leave before the job was finished. Nobody home but my German Sheperd.

This is a higly trained and very smart dog but she is still a dog. When I got home, the strings were not on the table where I had left them. All I could find was the Eudoxa with the windings chewed off. The dog ate the other three strings.

I wonder if they taste as good as rawhide treats? $200 down the hatch. :bawl:

Be careful where you leave those strings.

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Man's best friend obviously not that man's kindest critic.

3. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

Oct 24, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I just found out about that the other night too. My girlfriend brought her dog over and the dog started chewing on the packaging I held onto for my Gotz gut strings. Curious, I waved the strings in front of the dog's face and she went nuts. Totally nuts.

I had to put the strings up on top of a bookcase, and go out and buy some rawhide for her to chew on because she was just sitting there staring at the bookcase and moaning.

Lesson learned: don't mix dogs and gut strings.