Gutted Epiphone Jack Casady signature bass what pickups should I use?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ldugg, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ldugg

ldugg

Aug 28, 2019
    So there is a local music store that I go to all the time in my area. I was in there yesterday and I was talking to the owner about doing a sort of project bass. He went to the back and pulled out an Epiphone Jack Casady signature model with no electronics what so ever. He said he’d sell it to me for $100 I’d just need to find a pickup for it and the rest would be pretty self explanatory like the pots and output.
    So naturally I come to TB and look up what pickups would fit but all of the threads I found were concerning changing the pickup and that you shouldn’t do it because of the transformer and because the stock pickup is already really good. Seeing as I’m going to leave the transformer bit out entirely and the stock pickup isn’t an option I need to know what pickups would fit without having to do any routing or cutting to the body. I read that a Rickenbacker pickup and a 50s p bass single coil would but it was unclear if I’d need to mod the body in anyway or how to mount it.

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Maybe a TV Jones Thunderblade? I don't know the measurements on the JC, but seems in the ballpark.
    Bass Pickups

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Cool! I would love to get a gutted Casady to build up!

Can you measure and photograph the empty cavity?

4. I’d really try to find replacement jack Casady electronics. That pickup with the 3 way switch sounds incredible.

PawleeP and Clark Dark like this.
  5. ldugg

ldugg

Aug 28, 2019
    I’m probably going to go back to the store tomorrow to get a picture of it and measure out the cavity so I’ll post that ASAP.

6. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    That sounds like a good deal! Yeah, measure it well and report back. TV Jones, yeah, those might fit. I've seen a pic of a JC with a TV Jones pickup... Then again, I've also seen a pic of a JC with a Precision pickup :p

I'd also consider a Darkstar. If you're not willing to enlarge the route, perhaps a "Dagstar" would fit? “Dagstar” bass pickups – Daguet Guitars

Or a custom pickup. Sentell has some interesting designs, could probably make something. I'd also consider a custom BigSplit from Nordstrand - I think I read somewhere that it sounds close to the JC-1 pickup (or vice versa :)). +I generally like BigSplits...

7. ldugg

ldugg

Aug 28, 2019
    By precision do you mean a 51’ single coil design or a the traditional split coil p bass pup? Because everything I’ve read says that the 51’s would fit I’m just worried that it would look janky. But that is the cheapest option I’ve seen so far.

8. ricca

ricca

Dec 24, 2009
    Reggio Emilia ITALY
    Squittolo likes this.
  9. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The only one worth trying IMO is a Curtis Novak Darkstar/Bisonic reproduction.
    BS-DS

I have a stock JC, it’s a great bass. But they can still be had. Putting in a CN DarkStar/Bisonic would make yours a one of a kind. It would look cool too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Jefenator likes this.
  10. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Split P
    big_jay-bentley.jpg

SCPB/51P pickup should work just fine. You can also get a strat or a tele pickup, it should work too. Particularly a blade pickup. I suggest making a custom pickup ring for it, and it won't look janky (if done well).

But as long as the bass is not defective, I think it's a good contender for a proper mod job, even if it's a little more $$.

DaveDeVille and Squittolo like this.
  11. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

I put a Rautia Multi Coil in my shiny new Gibson LP Jr DC tribute and really like the results.

Probably be great in a JC

12. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I had a look at that "Dagstar” bass pickup and listened to the samples.
    The inside bears quite a few similarities with a Hofner 513B "Blade" Single Coil Pickup
    513a.jpg
    And so does the sound. I also think that it might be possible to fit one in a JC body because the pickup itself is slightly smaller than the original JC pickup. With the ring it's probably a tad bigger.

Another option I'd consider is a DiMarzio model one, because I have one of those available. It would need some routing though, because it's bigger than the original pickup.

Without routing a DP 121 G Humbucker probably fits.
    o2xgkgbp3ymyv2jmsrfd.jpg
    But they're rare and out of production.
    Similar, but also rare is a Schaller Bass Humbucker No. 232.
    Schaller-Bass-Humbucker-No-232-cremfarben-ohne-Gehause-_57.jpg
    suvnleprmpnk78osfdf7.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Squittolo likes this.
  13. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Well shoot, if a normal guitar-sized humbucker will fit then you have tons of options. The Wilde L90 is a great one.

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I went down this route:

[​IMG]

...but I ran out of patience. The Bisonic pickups need a different shaped route, and a shaved down bezel to fit over the top of the body. These basses don't have a center block so any pickup has to be suspended over the route.

15. ldugg

ldugg

Aug 28, 2019
    B5B95D35-8CBE-4AE6-A4A6-1AC0D13799D7.jpeg Here’s the picture of the bass in it’s current form.

Jefenator, Squittolo, Axstar and 2 others like this.
  16. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    I'd make sure all is well with the truss rod and neck...it looks like someone removed everything he could from the body including the nut, TR cover, and three machine heads. Wouldn't be surprised if the only reason the E machine head is still there is because dude wallowed out the little screws.

Jefenator likes this.
  17. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    So many guitar shops have the same wall. Is it a product they use exclusively?

18. ldugg

ldugg

Aug 28, 2019
    The owner of the shop has the other 3 machine heads, Nut and truss rod cover in the back it just hasn’t been installed yet. He said when he bought the bass though it had nothing so he had to buy the bridge and machine heads and be had to find a nut that fit.

19. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Phoenix
    I know this is an old one - but how did this end up?

seedokebass likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021