1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gutting a pig...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mound of Sound, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Hey there. I have an MTD Kingston Heir fretless 5, and I want to gut it. I had talked to 1kinal before about doing it, but now I want to do it. I want to rip out the pups and pre. I have been thinking of an OBP-3 and some Nordstrands. Any suggestions from the gallery?

As far as the Nordies go, is there a tonal difference in a bridge and neck J pickup, or is it just the size. I noticed that the size of their bridge pickups is the same as my neck J pickup (BTW, my bridge is an MM).

If anyone else has experience with this, I'd sure love to hear it. TIA

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Most of the J sets I've had sound the same when located in the same position - which I can do, have done, and do do. I've bought single neck pups and mounted them at the bridge cause that's where I play them.

The change in location will make a lot more difference than a few extra strands of winding.