1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gutting my Steamer LX 4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kurt Hans, May 23, 2005.

1. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    I love my Warwick, but I'm not too crazy about the MECs. I'd like to swap the MEC pickups with either Dimarzios or EMGs, and I plan on putting in an Aguilar OBP-3. I need something a little less tinny with better mid-range. My question is, will the knobs be able to accomidate this set up? The pickups are P/J, and the bass has volume, pickup blend, bass, and treble knobs. I don't want to drill any holes in the bass. Also, will I still be able to switch from active to passive? Right now the volume control doubles as an active/passive switch. Thanks for any help.

2. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    bump

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

You've got 4 holes and basically 5 pots for the OBP-3: vol/vol or blend/bass/mid/treble. So you'd just need to stack a knob (probably bass/treble) to make it work. You could keep the volume push pull for passive.

I don't know what the stock Streamer pots K's are (but I recall they were kind of funky pewter square pots) but with replacements you need to be wary of pot differences: stem length, stem diameter, stem thread length, stem spleen number (if press on - or at the least the fit of the knobs onto the pots in relation to the face of the bass), pot housing diameter - that come to mind. If the stems smaller than the hole you can fill the space but if it's too large, only a drill bit will suffice. And the stem can be long enough but if the thread isn't long enough to protrude sufficiently above the face of the bass, you can't get a nut onto the pot to hold it in place.

One thing I would wager on - new pots won't be a drop in without grief. Something's invariably screwed up.

4. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    thanks