gutting my Steamer LX 4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kurt Hans, May 23, 2005.

1. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    I love my Warwick, but I'm not too crazy about the MECs. I'd like to swap the MEC pickups with either Dimarzios or EMGs, and I plan on putting in an Aguilar OBP-3. I need something a little less tinny with better mid-range. My question is, will the knobs be able to accomidate this set up? The pickups are P/J, and the bass has volume, pickup blend, bass, and treble knobs. I don't want to drill any holes in the bass. Also, will I still be able to switch from active to passive? Right now the volume control doubles as an active/passive switch. Thanks for any help.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

You've got 4 holes and basically 5 pots for the OBP-3: vol/vol or blend/bass/mid/treble. So you'd just need to stack a knob (probably bass/treble) to make it work. You could keep the volume push pull for passive.

I don't know what the stock Streamer pots K's are (but I recall they were kind of funky pewter square pots) but with replacements you need to be wary of pot differences: stem length, stem diameter, stem thread length, stem spleen number (if press on - or at the least the fit of the knobs onto the pots in relation to the face of the bass), pot housing diameter - that come to mind. If the stems smaller than the hole you can fill the space but if it's too large, only a drill bit will suffice. And the stem can be long enough but if the thread isn't long enough to protrude sufficiently above the face of the bass, you can't get a nut onto the pot to hold it in place.

One thing I would wager on - new pots won't be a drop in without grief. Something's invariably screwed up.