Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guv'nor 2 vs original Guv'nor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cliff em'All, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Cliff em'All

Cliff em'All

Sep 27, 2004
    which one is better the Guv'nor 2 or original Guv'nor. which one is sopposed to have a better sound overall?

thanks alot

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    neither are better, they're different. The original Guv'nor seems to be better recieved among bassists, however, I've personally played neither.

3. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    I really didnt like the GV2, great on guitar but couldnt get a good sound on bass but I do have the original Guv'Nor on the way soon and hopefully ill be giving a good review of it.

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    I cant speak for Guv'Nor 2, but if you haven't heard the original guv'nor on bass, just listen to Rage Against the Machine cd "Evil Empire" (mainly Bulls on Parade and Tire Me)

I own one myself but tend not to use it that much as I think I'm "drowned" by the two guitar players in my band. Using my custom built fuzz instead which don't really loose any bottom and has a more "growly" tone.

5. 1 Happy Guvnor mk1 owner here, use it all the time in my post-rock band. Never had a problem being drowned out by guitarists, thats more an amp thing, I reckon :)

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Yea well, depends I guess.. we're playing in drop D and both guitars are heavy distorted, so when I kick in my guv'nor the "deep, punchy" bass tone is gone in the mix.

Calling it drowned(I know I did that myself) is maybe a bit out of the line cuz you can still hear the tone of the guvnor.. just missing the bottom in the mix :eyebrow:

Not sure if that made any sence at all :rolleyes:

7. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    In fact I got that problem also, tim's rage tone especially on ratm and evil empire is clean bass with guv'nor overdubs I think or for evil empire it's prolly a double amp setup

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've got the Vintage Guv'nor. I really really like it, and you can get those Timmy C and Geddy Lee like sounds, but to get a mellow Les Claypool "My Friend Fats" kind of sound, you really gotta turn down the treble, like at 9 o'clock.

This thing is REALLY gritty!

9. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I think I'm going to get mine back!!! nobody will have bought It for sure, and mod it to bass specs (bigger input caps)

10. Yeah running the double amps (one clean, one dirty) gets rid of the loss of low end that seems to happen whenever we bassists kick in an overdrive. I have recently been using a BDDI to compensate for loss of low end on a Boss Blues Driver, but the double amp combination sounds so much better and easier than kicking two pedals on and off simultaneously. Shame its not an option for most of us.

11. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Just thought id add that my Originall Guvnor arrived today which I bought off ebay. It was advertised as broken so I got it at a VERY CHEAP price of £10.50 about $20!! :hyper:

So far im really pleased with it, soooooo much better then the reissue guvnor. I need more of a play with it to give a better review but if its a choice between the original and reissue, get the originall!!!