Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guvnor soundclips and a distortion question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jul 8, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Does anybody know iof any guvnor soundclips? I knwo its been asked her quite a bit but I havent been able to find any.

I'm looking for a distortion pedal that will cut thru the mix so i can solo with guitars and drums going. Would you suggest the procorat, muff'n, big muff, or guvnor for this?

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I just got the guv'nor and it's probably the best overdrive pedal i've heard on both guitar and bass. It's shockingly tubey. It also cuts through the mix. I was having trouble with that with the Boss ODB-3, but not anymore. The only thing I'm not too happy with is the bypass. It's not true bypass. In order to get the sound I want on the Guv'nor I need to boost the treble quite a bit, but even when the pedal is bypassed the treble is boosted a little.

What kind of music do you play? I play hard rock/metal, so any clips i could make might not be relevant.

Also, I have the Guv'nor 2+. I'm not sure about the bypass on the original. Does anyone know if it's easy to mod the Guv'nor 2 to be true bypass? (I've made a few pedals, I just haven't opened this one up yet to see if it'd be easy)

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    According to Marshall's website, the Guv'nor II has 'passive bypass', claiming that it is the same as true bypass. I haven't noticed that it alters my tone when it's bypassed.

But true bypass or not, the Guv'nor II is a great little box. Just curious, what settings do you use on yours? Also, have you tried the Marshall Jackhammer pedal? I was thinking of buying one.

Graeme

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I have the original Guv'nor, and if you want clips, I have some on myspace.

Those clips are kinda bad, but some of them sounds well. I forgot to mess with the EQ on a couple of them. :oops:

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I love the distortion tone of the Gov', but it doesn't have a 'blend' control to mix-in some clean, so that's why I don't use it.

I'm pretty sure I remember someone posting a clip in the last few months (?).

Joe

6. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I've got a SANSamp behind my Guv'nor 2, and an active bass going into it all, so my settings are...

Gain: 12 o'clock
    Deep: 2:30
    Bass: 12:00
    Mid: 12:00
    Treble: 3:00

Volume to taste. I'll see if I can get some soundclips today.

Also, about the lack of a blend knob. I've found that the "Deep" control really makes up for that. Usually distortion can destroy the low-end, but with a little boost on the deep section adds a nice low end resonance to make up for the lack of a blend.

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hm. Maybe I should head-back to Uncle Bob's Music and play with it again...

Thanks,

Joe

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Heh, nearly the same settings I keep mine at. And I agree about the Deep knob, that thing is great. Allows a really tight low-end.

Graeme

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I'd be using the pedal for hard rock/metal. I guess its down to the guvnor, big muff and english muff'n, wich would u suggest?

10. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    If you want sweet tube overdrive, either the Guv'nor or Muff'n. If you want Fuzz, go with the Muff. I've heard you can tend to loose some low end with the Muff, but I haven't tried one out personally.

Also, regarding the "Passive Bypass" it can't be the same as True Bypass, because they would just call it true bypass. It alters my tone quite a bit too. I took it out of my chain, and I had the tone that I know and love back. Also, it's not a 3pdt switch, which would be required for true bypass (unless it's wired for Millenium Bypass, which it isn't. Looks like it'd be a total pain to convert it to true bypass though.

11. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I just bought one on ebay (original guv'nor, not the reissue)!!!

I'm going to test it and will likely mod it to true bypass and eventually i'm going to try switching the input cap, like on a wah pedal!!

Can't wait to get it

12. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    i might also get one, the guy at my local music shop said if he guy who gave it him dont want it any more i can have it for £25, is that good?

13. The big muff loses a little low end, but higher bass cuts through better- that's why they call it "lead bass" - and you said that's what you wanted. The Jackhammer or Big Muff would probably be the best for soloing - and the Big muff is better, IMO *(but i'm a little biased. just a little.) I also prefer the russian (black) big muff to the US (silver) because of its better tone. the jacks are plastic and reversed on it though, so if you're a wiener that can't stand that and breaks pedals, you might want the US one.