Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guy selling a bass he doesn't want to sell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 27, 2003.

1. here is a bass on ebay that has bee listed 3 times and has a high reserve to the point where i put down $400 and it still had not gone over the top.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=2517504997&rd=1

me thinks it is like his baby and he don't want to let go. what you recon of the bass anyways? i thought $400 was about fair/ almost too much. i want to turn her into a fretless. neck thru and all. thoughts

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah..if it wasn't a neck-through I wouldn't dream of paying $400 for it, unless I'm sorely mistaken about the value of this model. At any rate, he's not gonna get much more than $400 for the thing If he lists it again and fails, you could email him about it seeing if he wants to sell for your offer I suppose. I don't really liek the look sof it myself, but hey, if you like it thats what counts right?:)

3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    He claims he paid $720 for it 20 years ago! IMO, it isn't worth $400. I don't feel that a "vintage" Yamaha is something that should retain it's value like that, but what do I know?

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    "Well, honey, i've put it up on ebay three times, and no luck. I guess i'll just have to keep it."

5. Those are well made basses. I have one less the jazz pup (1300S I believe) and converted to fretless. It plays well sounds good but it weighs a ton. He's right on the original price although who's to say what it's worth now? I paid 429.00 for mine on Ebay about 3 yrs ago. So it seems you're in the right price range!

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you could get a nice spector for that!

7. Those are really great sounding/playing basses and are built like a tank but your $400 should have bought it.I had a cherry sunburst BB2000 a year ago i got at a Music Go Round for $250 and ended up selling it for $350 to get a five string.It looked almost exactly like that bass except for the finish.I think you may be right,he may not really want to sell it.They are great basses but not worth over $400.

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    It hit that for $450 or so... those are GREAT basses... they are the studio cat's secret wepons... you'd be amazed to know how many hits from the last 20 years have be cut on one of the Yamaha BB series basses...

And FWIW, the local Guitar $inner has the single P pickup version for $499... used of course...