1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

guy was mad i offered 80$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Apr 10, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Some guy wanted to partrial trade me a bass for my bass.

I was selling a good condition p bass with nothing stock on it for 350$ , he was like "will you take part trade for a MIM p bass for a future project" and i said "how much do you want?"

He brings out this p bass a little dented up and says "the necks warped" , it was twisted and junk with high action i offered 80$ for it just to use the body and he got mad and said "why are you low balling me":eyebrow:

Am i missing something? the thing had a decent body and okay parts how much does it seem worth to you? the neck was fire wood or at best decoration for my shop.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am suprised you offered that much. If I am looking at buying something for a couple of parts and the rest is junk, I would never spend $80. You did not low ball him, you shot him a high offer. If he did not like it, tough. Say no and walk away. No big deal...
    It is funny how some people think their production MIM (just for example) is so custom or rare and there were only 200,000 of them made this year!

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Haha i know man the only reason i wa asking the 350$ for mine is that it has every bell and whistle and a nice hardshell case.

But yes i thought 80$ was high i just wanted the body and some other odds and ends for a fretless build , for around 200$ i can get on craigs in day almost and get a fully functional P no problem

this guy just thought his bass was awesome , Only one person i have heard of plays on a warped neck and thats james jamerson not me

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Too Funny. You know, you can get a body for a project from E-bay for under $40 or just buy a whole bass from Rondo and use the parts for around $100...

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    yeah i know i was going to go the SX route but it was a family friend and i was trying to help out he lost his job but wanted a new bass etc , but man i am nice to people and tehre rude lol i just got to pick an SX i want

6. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I think Rondo stocks bodies now, too. At least, I know they stock necks.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

People gotta learn, when you walk into a shop to sell something, the shop always offers wholesale. That's just the way it is.

There's always E-Bay, where you can seek the wrath of the music world rather than just a simple & humble shop owner.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't sweat it. People generally over-inflate the value and importance of their belongings, regardless of how crappy those belongings are.

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  10. He'll get over it when he tries to sell it elsewhere.

11. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
  13. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
  14. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    anyway, you didn't low ball the guy. People just like to complain. Did you ask him what he thought a fair price would be? I would have liked to have known for the simple laughter factor.

15. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    he said its at least worth 200$ if not more , and like i said above when i mentioned the warped neck( this neck was twisted and had stress cracks) he said" james jamerson played a warped neck and it sounded fine so it obviously not the bass its the player."
    i replied
    "yeah james was a funk master , im 19 and have played 5 years , oh not to mention he had a decent fender bass its called pre cbs" then he told me basically he will just sell it to someone else

but i can get a mint condition epiphone t bird off him for 200$ may do that deal i like it its not a crazy good deal but not bad eithier

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The ad claims it has active electronics.:rollno: And mentions that it has 2 P bass pickups. Yeah, I guess if you count each half, that adds up to two.:scowl: