Guyatone Micro Octave...anybody?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrsquishy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Hey there I've heard countless praises for the EBS octave and the pog but have anybody tried the Guyatone Micro Octave? Ive heard the samples off the Guyatone website and they sound quite good but I'm not sure how it works for bass. Anyone one here has one of these and any comments? Soundclips would be awesome!

Just wondering:D

2. chrisplaysbass

chrisplaysbass Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2007
    White Plains NY
    Endorsing Artist: labella strings, Aguilar Amplification, Cusack Electronics, Xotic effects
    It depends on the sound your looking for. The POG tracks immaculately and allows you polyphony (double-stops). But to me it sounds to clean, I actually prefer the Boss OC because its just a a huge synthy sine-wave.

Accuracy or synthy i guess are what you should consider

3. Yes Im aware of the other octavers but I really wanna know how do owners feel about the MO3. Its not a really clean octaver. Gives a synthy kinda vibe if im not wrong.

4. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm interested to hear about this also...I've had a couple of the Guyatone micro pedals (delay, chorus) and they sounded great...it wouldn't surprise me to hear their octave sounded good too...

5. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    are there any boss oc-2 clones that can be bought new?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Guyatone doesn't build shallow pedals. This one is no exception.
    The MO-3 sounds very, very fat. Much more like a gated fuzz or square synth than an actual octave. The built-in filters just add to the craziness. It can sound a lot like a MXR Blue Box or EHX Octave Multiplexer but more synth like.
    It can track well or badly (in a good way) depending on the settings.
    A very interesting little monster.

7. Hmm thanks for the feedback guys! Im considering the Guyatone Octaver or the Mi Audio Pollyanna Octave. Any take on these two? Which will you get?

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    there are soundclips on the guyatone site.

9. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, super fuzzy or synthy, but it got a pretty decent range of control. The pregain helps you play with the tracking (either for different basses, or to make it glitchy if thats what you like), and the filter tones back the really square-wave fuzz a bit. It was a lot of fun and souned great, and I only sold it because I can't make myself keep an octaver.

I made some crappy (as usual, I'm not really used to recording yet) clips a while ago when I sold mine.

10. Thanks for posting that jucas, I'll have to check one of those out. I'm really digging squarewave octaver's right now.

MrSquishy- I haven't looked at the specs on the guyatone yet, but from jucas's soundclips, I can tell you that the -1oct settings at least on the Pollyanna and MO3 sound similar-

11. merlinaz

merlinaz

Apr 6, 2008
    Germany
    The Mo-3 produces a really fat synthy squarewave ocave. I really liked this pedal a lot when I tried it first the time...when you use it as your only pedal!
    Because every other pedal of my signal chain that comes after it sounds awful! Like a gated fuzz or the Noisebox. With MO-3 in front they sound weak and thin and you've got a lot of low end loss.
    So I can't really recommend it...

Merten

12. Maybe if you don't have any filters in your chain!

When you've got a thick and dirty squarewave octave, I don't really see the point in running it through a gated fuzz, or even the noisebox really. I use gated fuzz as a 'waveshaper'.. ie running a relative clean octave like the oc2 through a gated fuzz to replicate a squarewave octave, or with the BMS how the 'squarewave' is really just dirt that is supposed to sound like your signal is coming out squared.

I run the pollyanna (squarewave octave) straight into filters and it sounds great... and somewhat similar to sending an oc2 through a gated fuzz, only it tends to have a fatter bottom end since it isn't losing anything from running through other pedals. I could see it not being recommended to someone who has dirt on their board and only room for one octave pedal that should be versatile enough to be 'clean' or be 'squared' (so to speak) through the dirt pedals; but if it's because it doesn't sound good through more dirt.. I don't see the problem, it's already dirty!

13. yea it does sound very gated. wonder if it works on an active bass man. mine's a sterling. but i sure do hear similarities.

14. i stumbled upon these yesterday:
    http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/octron1.html
    look alot like a micro pog, didnt see any real differences aside from 2 swithces inside that change the brightness of the individual octave up/down tones. and the in/out jacks are on the top rather than the sides, so i guess it could be a potential space-saver

15. merlinaz

merlinaz

Apr 6, 2008
    Germany
    I don't mean pedals sound bad if you have the MO-3 and for example the Noisebox engaged. indeed the sound you're achieving with these two pedals turned on at once is pretty wack...

It also sounds crappy when the MO-3 is in bypass mode, which makes it totally useless for me, sadly.

It's not a question of taste, but of technical stuff like low/high input gain, impedance etc.... and we all know that gated fuzz like the woolly mammoth doesn't sound too good with active electronics un front...

merten

16. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Hmmm... I never had any problem with it, and I ran it in the middle of about a 6 pedal synth-y setup.

I don't know that I really agree there. There's more ways to get a gated fuzz than just what's used in the mammoth, and they don't always have specific input impedence requirements. Analog octavers can sound bad with some pedals in front, but just because of tracking issues, not really input impedance issues.

Maybe the noisebox is just not a great pedal in particular to run afterward? I'm not really sure if you mean it wasn't working out with other pedals running into it, or with it runninig into pedals, but either way I had pretty good luck with it.

And I can't remember about the bypass, if it was particularly good or bad.

My active is a hollowbody piezo bass that doesnt have a really hot output, but I never had any problems with it. Just turned down the pregain control and it worked fine. If you have your preamp turned way up, I couldn't tell you for sure if the pregain will go down low enough or if it'll overload the input. I would guess itd be ok if you have the volume down a bit.

17. Yea I do see the positive light of the MO3. Just ordered from tonefactor! This is my cheapest deal I've gotten so far! 125usd plus shipping! HOpefully it turns out well! Will feedback here once I've gotten hold of it:cool:

Stanley Beamish likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021