Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guyatone mini series and Fulltone Choral Flange

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by echo008, Apr 19, 2005.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    I normally never use effects of any kind with my bass, in the past I have experimented a bit I had a Boss SYB-3 bass synth for awhile (I disliked it. it had very poor tracking and the sounds were a bit cheesey) and a morely wah (which was sooo thin sounding I could not stand it).
    Anyway recently I got the bug back for a nice envelope filter/wah and was willing to spend a nice sum for one that would not sound thin.
    As it turns out I had narrowed the search down to a Mutron III and EBS Bass IQ, but I stumbled upon the Guyatone mini series pedals and for the price and what I had read about them I figured they were worth a try I picked up a BR2 Bass wah and one of there mini tuner pedals (MT-3).
    I cant wait to try the BR2 out, supposedly its voiced for bass (hopefully it wont suck out all the lows and mids).

Has anyone had expierience with these pedals?

As well I am looking into getting a Fulltone Choral Flange which I know gets high marks across the board, but again many of the reviews I have read as well as the sound samples have been specifically aimed for guitar and not bass. Any personal insight would be appreciated.
    thanks
    - Tom

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I use the Fulltone ChoralFlange and can only speak very highly of it. It's much more lush sounding than any other chorus / flange I've heard, and I was previously a fan of EBS and TC Electronic.

I don't play with the Flange too often, but when I do, I'm always amazed. It's just that good.

There's something about this pedal that just sounds...well...natural.

3. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    Natural sounding is what I want to hear although I can see why you would not want to use Chorus/Flange too often but I think Im going to try and pick one of these up soon, Im trying to put together a nice little pedal board setup and I want a Choral flange in it.
    thanks for the input.
    - Tom

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry...while I was typing my previous post, my wife called me to say she was really sick and I had to rush home.

Anyway, I don't have too much more to add, except to gloat about it a bit more. It's really impressive. The flexibility is crazy, too, going from very subtle to very in-your-face. Read the owner's manual when you get it, setting it to some recommended settings. Then, modify them slightly to check out the range of sounds each setting has to offer. You'll find your home in no time!:D

5. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    No problem at all, I hope all is well on the home front.
    Do you use a pedal board setup? or just use one or two effects?
    The reason Im asking is because Im trying to figure out if I should run an outboard pre before or after the effects. would you happen to know the benefits of either way?
    Thanks again
    - Tom

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I actively use only 2 pedals: a Fulltone ChoralFlange and a Fulltone Bass Drive. With only two, I don't use a pedalboard. I've looked at some other pedals and would be open to picking up a few more, if I find any that blow me away, but as of yet, I haven't spent too much time looking.

I've always heard it's best to put preamp style pedals first in your chain, then modulation pedals. In this case, it'd be an overdrive/distortion, then a chorus/flange type of pedal. I'm certainly no expert, but I can tell you there are a ton of experts around here, and a lot of great threads on the subject. Did you try a search?

7. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi,
    Yes I have searched and have found alot of great info but nothing specific regarding outboard preamps other than the sansamp that is. I havent seen any other pedalboards with multiple outboard pre's.

As for effects I plan to use them sparingly, not as a crutch, I used to be against using any effects at all but with the music I am making these days I can see the benefit to having that capabilty (some dance and electronica styled tunes).

- Tom

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I was in a similar position nearly a year ago.

looking for a decent analog chorous pedal. Was looking at an EBS. However I came across a guyatone mini. It was easy to operate and sounded half decent in the store. Plus the price I got it for was really good.

However when I brought it home I found it really noisy. Now I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

9. echo008

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I havent had a chance to take the BR2 out yet but so far it sounds pretty good only thing is it can be a bit hard to tame and I need to really watch out how hard I dig in. I have not noticed it being noisy ... running it through my Eden head effects loop or just into the input, as well I have used it direct into my mixing board and have not had any issues.
    I am thinking about getting a Mutron to compare it to though.
    - Tom