Guyatone SVm5 Slow Volume

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nad, Aug 4, 2009.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    My quest for volume swells continues. Anybody use one of these yet? I've read mixed responses concerning the SV-2, but this one has more adjustment parameters that may compensate for such feelings of unhappiness and discomfort.

SVm5.png

Bonus points for being true bypass and uglier to boot!

2. What's with the strange bar thing, the recessed LED and those ugly knobs? Please don't tell me that silver thing on the front is a battery cover :rollno:. I prefer the look of the older micros...

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Oh yeah, it is one of the ugliest pedals I've ever seen. Might as well put a Tubgirl sticker on it. However, when deciding on my last Guyatone pedal I went with the original tiny ones, and have regretted not upgrading to the newer, more "unique" version at the time. I shant make that mistake again!

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I liked the MDm5 when I had it. And I liked the aesthetics of it. Well, I liked the contrast. It was like having a Pinto parked between an Escalade and a Hummer. And they are still tiny things, and with top mounted jacks to boot I can't think of many other pedals that take up less real estate.

The upgrades to me are the bypass and the slightly better (though still underwhelming) construction. I hate that little rubber gasket that holds the original micros together especially since all the ones I've tried have sounded good to great (MD3, FL3, TZ2, whatever the phaser is called) and I didn't want them to break on me.

Here's a shot of my little ugly when I had him.
    guyatone.gif

5. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    You might consider a slow gear clone. There's a bass friendly mod for the BYOC Slow Gear floating around. You can get it pre-built for around $120 if you're not handy with an iron. I've been planning to build one for a while now, just keep getting distracted. If I do, I'm gonna put a tubgirl graphic on it just for you.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I also hate the stupid rubber gromment bottom of the regular Micros. I still don't know how the hell I'm supposed to mount one on a board without using Fleer gum and edible paste. The bypass doesn't much bother me, but I'd rather have Thunderscreech ByPass than a meh buffer.
    Oh yes. I would rock the awful classic before getting near one of those modern monstrosities.
    Sweet, didn't know about the mod or the prebuilt options. What does the mod do anyhow? I'm going to search here in 2 seconds, but just in case we're in the Lightning Round of posting maybe I won't have to. Keep me posted on said graphic though, that would match the mood and everything. :D

EDIT: Okay I can't find anything about a bass mod, and the cost of a prebuilt is within $5 of the Guyatone once shipping is all figgered into it. HMM.

7. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    I've had a Lazy Sprocket for a week, haven't been able to test it on bass yet. Sounds great on guitar, btw - it's still a delicate thing to control, as was the Behringer SM200 I had before, but it does sound killer. I've had the mod for longer swells installed on it, but I've heard nothing on a bass mod, neither had the builder when I commissioned the pedal.

8. TBS. Very funny.

9. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    That SVm5 has what I'd refer to as "Go-Bot aesthetics."

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    I like the way they look, atleast it is different from everything else out there.

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    And the Go-Bots themselves had what I'd refer to as "cheap-ass Transformer ripoff aesthetics".

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    +1
    I hated Go-bots!

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I think it's funny that the cheap Gobots of yesteryear would likely trump the current line of Transformers in terms of overall quality. One day I should dig through the rafters at my parents' house to find out. I definitely preferred the Transformers back then. Made of metal, you could always throw it at something to cause damage.

Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Is that a gun in your trousers Tommy?

15. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had a BYOC Lazy Sprocket. It came with one extra cap that could be swapped out via a socket. It kind of only worked at one setting with a real short swell and I had to play to it so much I felt like I was doing most of the work for a very subtle effect. Anyway, this rumored bass mod might help, as might a passive bass?

16. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Hey nad has your quest for volume swells been resolved? This is something I've been curious about for years.

From searching around here and the net it seems there is a small niche of bassists who seek a smooth (not forced/robotic/mechanical) swell effect and none fit the bill?

Any solutions or have any of you been using alternatives? Which volume pedals work with well with both passives and actives to achieve something similar to this?

Someone needs to jump on board and make a pedal that does this well with bass because that would be swell.

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    What's it for, zee Germans?

18. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahahahahahahahaha!

19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Solid thread, would start again!

Apparently this was a whim of a fantasy, I never bothered with any sort of swelling device. Besides, I mean, you know, the usual of course.

20. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, but the Guyatone you can play with when company is over.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021