1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guyatone Ultron Auto Wah -- anyone got one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Dec 8, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I've seen the video from last Summer NAMM, and this is an intriguing unit that's wayy more than I would ever need, with a price to match.

[​IMG]

Does anyone here have one of these? At $425, they're pricey for an effect, but they sure do look cool. :cool:

Opinions?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm pretty sure Jauqo is the only person here who has one.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I do have one and it is crazy(and I mean that in a good way)it's like having 4 or 5 effects in one and it has options for days(the operators manual is over 10 pages long,big pages).it's the closest pedal I've come across that really nails the original Mutron(EF)plus it also has so many other variations of the envelope filter effect and you can use an optional expression pedal with it to experiment with the wah aspect of this pedal.

the price is up there but the Ultron pedal is definitely not a one trick pony.

4. I'd love to put my hands on one of those!
    :)

5. The more I read this forum, the more I think about robbing a bank.

Hm... This could be a good line of defense in court...

6. The Ultron indeed looks pretty cool and the sound samples I've heard are pretty impressive, but it seems to be a bit too expensive for what it offers. If you're looking to delve into auto-wah, where a LFO sweeps the filter's frequency, which seems to be the main feature of the Ultron, there are much more versitle units for a lot less money. For $150-$200 on the used market one could pick up an Akai MFC42 analog filter that has more versitile waveforms (including sample and hold which is conspicuously missing on the Ultron) and a greater degree of control with it depth control for how wide the LFO sweep is over the range of the cutoff (or resonance which also doesn't seem to have a control on the Ultron). I wish they had just made more controls avalible for the basic Mu-tronesque envelope sounds. Something like adjustable attack and decay controls, and maybe a manual foot trigger to control the triggering of individual waveform cycles on the LFO.

7. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    How would you compare it to the EBS BassIQ?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I'm not being sarcastic but you can't,the Ultron is literally a different pedal in so many ways.

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I actually just got an MFC42, and I have mixed feelings...

Also, it isn't an envelope follower. Just a filter that can be controlled by LFO or ASDR, which makes it like an autowah.

I think I'll just have to buy all of the followers I want. :D

10. The MFC42 can pull off some really cool sounds. I used to like to roll back the cutoff for Bill Laswell style dub tones. You can also use it as a sine wave generator for bass drops where you goose the resonance into self-occillation and adjust the cutoff to control the frequency. I just find that personally I don't tend to use LFO controlled autowah tones. I'm kind of exited right now for the upcoming Chunk Systems Bass Synth.

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh my! Sounds like I need a Chunk Synth!!

12. Make a vid and post it on youtube, there aren't any atm

13. ImUncleSam

ImUncleSam

Aug 8, 2007
    i've got an Ultron and I really love it. I'd say if you think you'll be able to make use of all the features of this pedal then it's worth the money.