Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guys... help me graduate from high school

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spector_guy2004, Jan 30, 2003.

1. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    hey guys i need a little help. in order to graduate from my high school you need to so projects for the main subjects: math science L.A. and history/social sciences. they are pretty big projects and you can combine subjects all into one project. they are called graduation exhibitions by the way. anyways, i really want to do my math/science/L.A. exhibition on the bass guitar. for science you need to do an experiment and i have no idea on what i can do :confused:. what im asking from you guys is ideas for an experiment. you can connnect the experiment to other issues, but i am open to any ideas. the experiment, of course, has to do with bass guitar. im sorry i wrote alot, but if anyone helps me they will be tie coolest person ever. any ideas will help alot. thanks alot.

2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Well, you could cover science / physics by going in depth of how the pickups work (magnetic fields, electrical conversion of vibrations into sound). Math could be covered by talking about scale length, the fact that musical octaves increase logarithmically, not linearly (i.e. the A one octave down from "Concert A - 440Hz" is 220Hz, while one octave up is 880Hz). History / S.S. could be covered by how it affected music, what changes occured in popular music as the upright bass was replaced by the new electrics.

Does that help at all?

[edit: fixed typo]

3. I think Food covered up your aspects! That really would be an awesome project... :cool:

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Shouldn't this be in the misc or off topic forum?

DM

5. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    You could also run a search here on harmonics; the nodal properties behind the resulting tones have been discussed fairly recently.

6. Ditto. This is a great idea.

7. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    hey thanx alot guys. some of the stuff i will need to learn, i havent taken physics yet but we are covering stuff like this in chem and algebra 2. i can do some tutoring. the math and sci stuff is good, but for my science exhibition i need to do an experiment of some kind. i dont know what i want to find out. any experiment i deas would be awesome. thanx so far guys you are all really cool for taking the time to think about it.

8. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    If I had to do a project like that, I'd see If the bass could run on a potatoe. Cheap but awesome for 8th grade. S.S., you could do a history of the bass and find where materials for it are. Math you are screwed though dude. Sorry

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    how bout a project on wood species and the tonal qualities of each? this could be combined with the harmonics and pickup pickup ideas to just scientifically dig into the whole process of making different sounds.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I think Misc would be a better fit...

11. Drop out And goto trade school like I did (well am i should say). I found that id rather get specific job training then a general Diploma, But thats just me and im not that smart so it was pretty much the best choice for me (and would have been the only choice if I continued the path I was on).

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, I made a useful post! Thanks for the compliments Microbass and rabid_granny. :)

Maybe you could do an experiment showing how the tone goes up on each fret and somehow relate that to math or science. You know, try and explain why the frets get closer together as you go up the neck as opposed to being the same distance between frets down the whole neck.

Take measurements and try to find the ratio of fret distance to scale length to number of half steps away from the note the open string plays, and use science to explain how the vibrations get faster as the string length gets shorter when you fret down the neck.

For example, on my bass, (34" scale) the frets get approximately 1/8" closer together as you go down the neck. Now, if you are going from Concert A (again, 440Hz) to octave above (880Hz) and there are 12 half tones between the octaves, what frequencies do these notes have.

Since the number of vibrations / second the string makes goes up linearly as you shorten the string, but the frets aren't spaced linearly, what is the formula to determine the number of Hz between half notes in a scale. Is there a way to relate this to the fact that the octave above a note is always 2x the note's Hz and the octave below is always 1/2 the note's Hz.

I just found a .pdf file here that goes into detail on math, the golden ratio and how it relates to musical scales. It's a little too heady for a Saturday morning, but table 3 on page 8 of the file shows the cycles of all the notes in a scale. I'm not sure which C - C scale it is as it starts at 4186 Hz, but I would guess it's about 4 octaves higher than Concert A.

Hope this helps you out. I know you've got me interested in delving further into this topic!

When you are done, will you post your report here?