1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guys, how much bending do you do?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jerryjg, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jerryjg

jerryjg

Aug 20, 2006
    Coming at this from a 6 six playing angle,where I incorprate a lot of deep bends into my style, I just got a 57 P-bass vintage Japanese copy, and had to set the action a little higher than I normally like on my 6 strings, presumably casue of the vintage curved fretboard radius. I had already done a fret level. Now it will bend okay close to a full note.
    How much bending do you bass guys do in youer playing, and what kind of basses do you use to facilitate that?

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Dec 25, 2011
    Canada
    On a fretless I never bend and on a fretted I'll only do somekind of vibrato sideways because a classical vibrato just doesn't work as well with fret.

So ... I don,t bend string like a guitar player do. I also think that with such big string and high tension you won't be able to bend the string to a minor second.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bend as little as possible - my back's not so good. :)

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

It is hard to hear anyway for bass - I save it for ending notes. Otherwise it can just sound like you're out of tune.

5. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    not sure you cant hear it...i do a lot of bending (post metal) and it really sticks out in a good way IMO...but then again i use a ton of effects and a ton of tube distortion that might be the reason you can hear it...i use a Modulus VJ 4 as my primary with the action as low as it can go...just my 2 cents :)

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Tons on a fretted bass...but I play mostly fretless.

7. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yes, lots. I started very early on as way to avoid using my pinkie which was not up to it. Now I have all 4 cylinders firing but bending is very established in my style.

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Stop yer startin' whit all that prittle prattle!

Marzipan's a private matter!

I can't do it fast or accurately with my pinky... but the rest is fine. Need more practice to get good. I don't use it more than say - hammer-ons or slides.

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Specially when jamming or improvising. Sometimes i use guitar-blues-licks, then the bending comes right in hand

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I bend when I think it's needed. I've had people on here be critical to me about string bending before, like they say, "You should play guitar," or "Bending has no place on a bass," that kind of drivel. Screw those idiots.

Anyway, I feel the same as you. I like a flatter radius for that, too. I sold a 79 Precision a few years back for (mostly) that reason.

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I pretty much never bend notes. I like big strings for the toanz, and I would rather have big-string toanz than bendiness.

12. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    I started out on guitar (playing blues) so when I switched to bass the bending was just part of my technique. I use it from minor vibrato to screaming leads. Its understandable why a lot of people with a low radius don't bend, as it frets out ridiculously quick. I also don't understand why people say you can't bend thick strings. Its very easy with some practice, and I believe it sounds quite good.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    None.

I'll slide when the song calls for it.

14. I save the string bending for my Strat! ;)

15. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    i'm with ya bro! i can't get into trying to bend the old G string on a bass at all .....a wound G string on an acoustic is bad enough!

16. This is also what I do most of the time. I don't think the quality of the basslines I've played has ever suffered as a result of not bending.

17. I'll bend when the song calls for it, like N.I.B. :)

18. You can call me Bender Bending Rodriguez

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I bend a lot! Bass of choice 60's Non reverse Thunderbirds super low action. JOHNNYSMOKEBuffaloNYwaterfront8-19-13031.

20. I run a low action on my Schecter 6-string bass, and one song I do calls for some heavy-duty bending (at least 3 semi-tones) on the low B string. I'm pushing it all the way into the D string :) .

I use bends to add discord to a part, but it only works when there's just a little bit of stuff going on otherwise yes: it will only sound like you're playing the wrong note.

Peace,
    Greg