Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guys, I am at a turning point...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Horokito, Nov 10, 2004.

1. It has come time for me to upgrade to a "pro" level bass but I'm torn between a Dingwall ABI or a Sadowsky Metro Modern. I've had the chance to play both, and the price difference doesn't bother me but I just can't pick. I know I want an ABI over an ABII due to wood selection, and I LOVE the fanned banjo frets and all the other quirky little innovations, but the Sadowsky just blow me away everytime I plug it in. Of course, the Dingwall does too, and it seems that I prefer the bark and punch of the Dingwall one day and the huge bottom of the Metro the next. The Dingwall has an edge in playability, but overall the Metro gets the nod in tone. The B string on the Metro is almost perfect too, so that counteracts one of the biggest perks of the Dingwall. HELP ME GUYS!!!!!

2. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    I say if you're playing out, which looks cooler? And, which will track nicer and easier?

I also know Sheldon personally, and know that he's a fantastic guy and will make sure that everything is, and stays, happening with your bass.

I saw a one-off that Sheldon had done in a local music store. The previous owner had done some damage, somehow?!?(there was almost a chunk missing), to the back. Sheldon told me that if I bought the bass, and since it was a one-off he had the exact paint color ON-HAND, that he'd fix it N/C. Unfortunately, I was without the cash at the time, however, the story remains true.

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I know this won't help but...

Save yourself the agony of choosing and buy both!!! :bag:
    If you buy second hand and find that you prefer one over the other and decide to sell, you won't lose much on either :)

4. Go with the Sadowsky...they will only gain in value...where as fanned fret basses may just be a fad (or not... :meh: )

But go for the bottom end...if that Sad is as good as you say it is (which I have no doubt it is), then GO FOR IT!

This is just my opinion. Who am I? someone who has played neither, so take my words with a grain of salt.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yeah. The best bass is the one you can get rid of! :eyebrow:

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My thoughts exactly. :)

7. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004

8. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I would also say get both, but get the Sadowsky first. I would guess the Sadowsky would be more useful (versatile) in more situations than the Dingwall (but I have never played a Dingwall, so that could be pure conjecture). Then, while you are loving your Sadowsky and playing it out all over, you can save up and get the Dingwall....

Of course, I love the sound of the modern Sadowsky. Jeff Rader got one not too long ago and it makes me want to cry it sounds so good.

Just my $.02

Don

9. Two thoughts.

I personally have not seen Sadowsky basses gaining in value at all. A new NYC Sadowsky sells for $3000+. I haven't seen a used one go for much more than $2500.

As for the fanned frets... Dingwall basses have been around for over a decade and demand is much higher now than it was 5 years ago. I don't think that they're a fad.

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I picked up a Sadowsky standard Metro 5ver and I haven't touched another bass since it arrived. I've never played a Dingwall and have no doubt that it's a marvelouos instrument but based on what you like about both basses it sounds to me like the Sadowsky is a bit more to your liking. It will hold its resale value and I have not had one playing situation that my metro was wrong for. Good luck!!

11. Get both. Get used. If you get a sad, get a vintage style.

12. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Get the Sadowsky.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    +1 Get the Sadowsky. It's tone has seduced you. Whether fanned frets are a fad or not, if and when you go to sell a fanned fret bass, not everyone (old dawgs like me) are NOT as open to 'change' as some.

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
  15. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I dunno...

I don't think you could really get the Sadowsky sound just by plugging into the outboard pre (But I wish it were that easy :) )....

Don

16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    It isnt the "Perfect" sadowsky sound, all it does is shape the bottom end "The part we love anyways!" But it does make a difference.

17. Well, I THINK I'm going to get the Dingwall with the Sadowsky outboard, and use the leftover money for some other cool stuff like a Boss Loopstation, but I'm sure my mind will change again by the end of the day. I'd love to get both, but I just can't afford it. Also, as far as the resale value goes, I'm looking at Metros, not NYC, so I don't know what effect that has. I can't seem to find any used Metros or Afterburners though, with the exception of one ABI on ebay. The used Sads I've seen have all been NYCs and are about as much as a new Metro.

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
  19. Since I don't have the money for a Metro and an Afterburner, does anyone have any input on how a Skyline 55-02 compares to a Metro? if I buy a used Skyline, I can afford it and the ABI.

20. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't know how it compares to the Metro, but the 55-02 is a great bass. If I were you, I would buy one bass and get to know it before you look at a second bass. The two bass that you like are both really good basses and in the end the only thing that matters is which one do you like better.

Make your choice based on sound and feel of the instrument. I've played some very expensive instruments that look and sound great, but don't feel right in my hands. Pick the bass that is best for you and the music you are playing.