Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guys...I...I don't know what to tell you. [Warning: Hanson.]

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm sorry, TalkBass, but I'm about to say it:

Hanson doesn't suck anymore.

I know! It sounds crazy, right? Completely bonkers! But...it's true. A friend of mine sent me a cover they did of "Ain't No Sunshine," and it's great. These guys are miles...GALAXIES away from the yester-year garbage of "mmmbop" and whatnot. Actual, beautiful vocal melodies and harmonies (sweet jesus, the harmonies!) and the instrumentation...well, nothing spectacular, but the piano playing one (my hanson fan friend says that one's Taylor) has a great feel and sense of space on this track.

Just to be safe, only get stuff (download, buy, whatever) pertaining directly to their latest album. Test the murky waters of the past, and stay far away from that awful debut CD from the 90's.

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    It's a witch!!! Burn him!!!

Actually, I kinda always had a feeling that those guys would be pretty good eventually. Though I haven't heard anything from them since some god-awful song like six-seven years ago, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear something good from them. And I'd hope the harmones would be good. They are all brothers.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This is something I'd like to note -- anyone else listen to Los Lonely Boys? Now THOSE are some great vocal harmonies! That, and all three are spankin' musicians.

4. But for the love of humanity, man- HAN SON ?

5. My first concert was Hanson...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    They were young, they had an excuse. Celine Dion's sucked her ENTIRE career, though!

7. STONE HIM!!!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    And I thought I was losing my marbles.
    Not too long ago, Bass Player did an article on Joe Chemay & a couple of his famous lines were charted out. One was "One Bad Apple" by, yep, The Osmond Bros.
    I hadn't heard it in awhile, so I downloaded it.
    It is an obvious J-5 ripoff...nevertheless, Chemay's bass is upfront & active.

That's my confessional for the day.

(Wondering if Govithoy & his pals have taken a few too many pucks off their coconuts).
    ;)

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was 16-
    Mine was The Edgar Winter Group...The James Gang opened up.
    Times have changed(hopefully you were younger).
    ;)

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My first concert was Huey Lewis and the News when I was about 8.

You really can't blame Hanson for that stuff sounding like crap, just look at the credits, they hardly wrote any of it and almost every track had "guest" musicians.

11. I was 8...

12. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    MMMmmBop!

So...Hopefully they grew up and dont look like little girls anymore.:bag:

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Hmm.. Maybe I should try listening to that new Hanson stuff.

Hey guys, do you remember when Hanson was in Futurama?

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Ain't No Sunshine" is a great tune.
    So, I'm assuming whoever covers it will do it justice.
    Sting also did a great cover.

On the DVD side of the house-
    Check out Bill Withers doin' "Ain't No Sunshine" on The Old Grey Whistle DVD.
    Hansen can be found doin' "Mmmmbop" on the Saturday Night Live 25 Years of Music DVD set.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

Mmhmm. A "friend". You've got all of the Tiger Beat posters, and there's nothing you can say that will convince me otherwise.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

PROOF! And what's Tiger Beat?

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tiger Beat was/is a magazine geared for young girls/teeny boppers.

Was this the magazine that tried putting a shirtless Jim Morrison on the cover?
    ...or was that 16 magazine? ;)
    Anyway, back in my day, these magazines usually had David Cassidy, Donny Osmond, Robbie Benson, Radolph Mantooth, etc as cover boyz.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gov, it's not that Hason doesn't suck anymore; it's that you started to.

19. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I feel like I lost a significant chunk of my manliness just by *reading* the first post about Hanson =/

20. It's cheaper than a vasectomy- & painless.