1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guys, need some help...dad is lost

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DFJ, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DFJ

DFJ

Apr 10, 2009
    My son plays in school. His problem is he has about 5 minutes to get on stage and set up. He currently has Ampeg SVT-450H head, compressor pedal, tuner pedal, and Ampeg SVT-610HLF speakers. There is just not time to set this up. I would like to replace the amp with a rack mount with built in compressor which will not over power the speakers. The Ampeg SVT3pro does not have a compresor and the SVT4pro has too much power. Dad is struggling. Any suggestions?????

2. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I wish I had that problems ....

If there is 5 minutes to set up, the gig is more likely not going to be long. Just use tuner, a head and a cab and that should do it. Or tune bass before and just plug the bass straight to the amp.

3. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Have the equipment set up on a dolly and just push it out on stage , plug in and play.

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    What school group is he playing with? Jazz band? Show choir? (Five minute setup sounds like a show choir competition.) Its been a while, but I never got to turn my amp up much past audible. Does he even get to turn that big amp on? I'd think any ampeg head with a 610 cab would be major overkill in his situation.

Hartke Hydrive is a possibility. I'm curious about those myself.

Maybe a Nemesis R210? http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/rsseries/rs210.aspx or a Markbass CMD 121p http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=3&vedi=41 ?

If he's really not going to be very loud, an Ampeg BA112 might be an inexpensive choice. I've got one, and even though it gets mixed reviews, I like it. No compressor, though, and it doesn't do loud. At all.

Id think like this: combo amp with build-in compressor (if the compressor's a must), bass, and cable. Get in tune before he gets on stage. Put a little $15 Korg in his pocket for emergencies.

5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Forgot to ask. What's your budget?

6. Yeah. Stop spending so much on your kid's gear. :meh:

Beyond that, put the amp and head on a dolly. Or don't. Two people can move that big rig onto a stage in less than 60 seconds.

Screw the pedals. Is he going to be playing more than an hour and a half? No? Then he sure doesn't need a tuner on stage. Compressor? ***?

Bass. Cord. Head. Cab. Power cord. Period.

Crikey.

-jb

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    If it's a matter of pure efficency I'd go with a large combo amp if speed is your main concern. He could also have his compressor pedal and tuner on a pedal board ready to go. Speaking from experience, I've not found using a rack system to be any real time saver over using a head. You might shave off a few seconds to a minute, but you still have to haul the rack onto the stage. It sounds more like a solution in search of a problem approach to me imho. I do believe the SVT-450H head does have the built in opto-coupler just like the older SVT-350 and B-2 Series heads have. Exactly how strict is this so called 5 minute rule anyway that you have to contend with?

8. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    i agree with a lot of whats been posted.

personally, that setting sounds like a small combo. it is so very very very nice to beable to make one trip on stage for set-up--- combo in one hand, bass in the other, and a bag or backpack with the cables, stand, etc. set it down, throw it out, plug it in. done.

i like the sound and portability of this amp. it gets louder than you might think, as long as you are reasonable with the bass control. cheap too--- $349 brand new ATM.

[​IMG]

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    You know, the tuners that clip onto the headstock are very accurate and don't require any patch cords. Keep it in your case, use it, put it in your pocket, play. Much less hassle.

10. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Buying a new head, rack, rack tuner, and rack compressor to save 35 seconds of plugging two inline pedals in doesn't seem very cost effective.

11. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    If he has more than one pedal and he needs things set up quickly, it's very likely he'd benefit from a pedalboard...

A friend of mine has a Kickback 12. I've played on it once, and it can do small, or even small-to-medium shows. Nice tone, too.

Coincidentally, the same friend uses one of those. He keeps it attached to the headstock permanently tho, and it sort of impacts negatively the bass's aesthetics, imo.

12. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I agree about tuning before the show and about having everything set up
    on a dolly. His rig gets rolled out and he's ready to plug in.

I've been to many school performances and it's rare for any one performance
    to last more than 5-10 minutes.

Your son probably has more invested in his bass rig than the school has invested in their entire PA system.

13. Some of the newer Ampeg combos have a tuner built in. They make a 100 watt with one fifteen that should fit most of the needs for school functions. If this is just a talent show, get casters for the cabinet, set the amp up in the wings before the show, tune before he goes on, then just roll the amp out, plug in and go.

14. DFJ

DFJ

Apr 10, 2009
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Budget? Trying not to throw money away. I think you have put me on the road to a solution. Thanks again.

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1 on the SVT450H's built-in front panel-actuated limiter which is designed to prevent speaker-killing power amp clipping.

From the downloadable manual:

"9. LIMIT: The SVT450H uses an internal
    Optocoupler Limiter to assist in keeping the
    amplifier’s output “clean” at extreme volume
    levels. (All amplifiers may begin to clip their
    output signals as they approach maximum
    output levels, resulting in potentially damag-
    ing distortion.) To engage the Limiter,
    depress this switch. The adjacent LED illu-
    minates when the limiter circuit is activated,
    indicating that the amplifier is nearing full
    output and the limiter is keeping peak signals
    from clipping the output."

A compressor pedal is not needed for use with this amp if its sole intended purpose is to avert fried speaker voice coils.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Why not just a pedal board? Then all the stuff is all wired and ready to go and all you have is a few quick cords. No knob twisting needed, slap the amp up there, put the board on the ground plug in and go.

Quick change overs are part of the game, so the more experience now...

17. those hartke kickbacks are great, i played the model in the picture lined into the pa at a 400 seat venue and it did a great job. sweet tone too.
    setting up your sons equipment shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes, or why don't you just leave the stuff on stage before your son will go up and perform, that way he just have to go on stage and plug in.
    buying a bunch of new gear for just one gig seems pretty stupid.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    How are the other members of the band going to do it?

How will he know how much volume he needs? Sound check?

I concur with the other suggestions: tune ahead of time then, bass>cord>amp>speaker.

I also suggest that possibly everything be set up ahead of time and covered with a some kind of cloth.

19. The Ampeg BA115HP has adequate power for medium gigs and a built-in tuner. It's compact, easy to handle and could be plugged in to the house through the XLR balanced out. He could use a pedal board for his pedals (if he still wants to use his compressor). An easy rig to handle and set up in minutes, for sure. And he keeps that Ampeg sound.

20. There are combo amps available, e.g. the Line 6 LowDown models, which have built-in compressors and tuners.