Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

guys new custom....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stitchwork, Sep 25, 2004.

1. stitchwork

stitchwork

Aug 22, 2004
    has anyone one heard of or does any one play/own any basses made by Dave Pushic? ive seen the pictures on his site, and every thing looks fantastic. and all the responces are very good. but i was wondering what you guys on here thought. what would you compare them to, sound feel and all that. or just let me know if there is a reveiw on here that i may have overlooked. i am considering getting a fretless 6. thanks

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you do a search on him, you'll find a LOT of threads about his basses. "DP" is too short a search term, so search the word "Pushic" . You'll find many reviews of his instruments. Some very good, some very bad.

I will ad this: I have not played one first hand, although I came very close to buying a used fretless 6-string he made. I will say I am very glad I didn't after a well-known luthier gave me the real rundown on the bass. Also, nearly every TB member that I can think of that has ordered one of his basses has ended up selling it. There could be many reasons for this though-I'm just saying what I've observed.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm. I don't remember seeing any I would characterize as "very good."

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know I've seen at least one. It was Professor X I believe, although he did end up selling his. I think it was gustomatic that liked his as well, after it was sent back for repairs.

7. ... but many in the "very bad" column, especially the off line comments. Below average to very poor in quality, in my experience.

8. And I found that aside from the cosmetic issues and the rebuild on the headstock (broke off during shipping), the bass sounds and plays beautifully. Very well-suited for progressive rock stuff.

Plus, the green LEDs in the neck add a wow factor during performance.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe user chump_stain was rather happy with his.

Jeff Rader... not so much.

And by "not so much," I mean it's an ongoing saga of craptacularity.

10. I am one of those that some issues with a DP, and Dave did a bunch of work to repair it. When i first received it it was a really nice bass, i went simple on he design and that worked out in my favor.. Unfortunately once the repair was completed i was dissatisfied with the tone based on what the repairs involved and dave is now building me a new one. So far from the photos it's coming along pretty damn well too.. review will be posted as soon as it's in my grubby mitts...

11. 2 or so years later and I'm still happy with mine. Here's a pic from Sept. 11