1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guys, Please help me out.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 311 fan, Sep 24, 2000.

  1. 311 fan

    311 fan

    Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Okay, I dont have a teacher so I need this simple question answered. I know what slapping and plucking are, but what is popping, muted slap, palm mute? I have almost no idea what all that stuff is. Can you help me out?
  2. Naked Boy (you do know where 311 came from right? :) ) -

    Popping is the companion to slapping, when you put your finger under a string and pull it away from the bass, then let it "pop" back down. Is this what you're thinking of as "plucking"?

    Muted slap would be when you put your fingers on your left hand across the strings, muting them without letting them make an actual pitch, then you play rhythmic patterns of slapping and popping. Basically this is a percussion thing, sounds great mixed in with "normal" slap and pop stuff.

    Palm muting (to me at least) is when you put the heel of your hand (palm) across the strings right in front of the bridge and pluck with your thumb. Gives a great tone for emulating upright or getting a real fat reggae "dub" tone.
  3. Brook


    Sep 24, 2000
    Your are right that that is palm muting. But if you are that much of a begginner you shouldn't worry about anything except regular fingerstyle.

Share This Page