1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guys that work on J basses and strats too

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PawleeP, Dec 21, 2017.

1. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    You are trying to think of it as 250k for one pickup and 300k for another, but what the circuit is "seeing" is a flat 136k resistance for everything. There isn't any differentiation between neck and bridge.

On the other hand, as you roll the pots down, you are going to see a difference in taper. The lower resistance pot gives more room in the sweep to fine tune the volume. Then on the other hand, those resistances are so close together that it is doubtful that you could even tell which pot was which. Especially given that your pots could have up to a 20% difference from whatever they are rated.
    That's what i want in the bridge of a jazz then a little lower value to widen the sweep when rolling back the bridge pup, I know tolerances vary, that's why I ohm out and label the pots.. appreciate the help and yes 300k and 250k in parallel equal approx 136 total track resistance i suppose..

This has been a nice crash course for me on guit-fiddle circuitry..
    30 minutes ago #21 PawleeP
    Oct 8, 2012
    Killed_by_Death said: ↑
    If they're both at the end of their 10% tolerance, say for instance the 300K Ohm is really 270K Ohm & the 250K Ohm is really 275K Ohm, you won't notice a difference.
    As always, just use your ears for the blend, not the position of the knobs.
    thanx killed bydeath,
    On the MIJ jazz, i was looking at my original drawings from the stock (3 B250k array) and the cap was soldered from the middle lug of the tone to the hot lead (tip) of the output jack, could that have been killing (lol) my high end?
    If so it may be too bight now? SHUCKS!
    THE ACTUAL vol 1 & 2 POTS I TEMPORARILY PUT IN TO TEST, till i get more pots in stock ACTUALLY MEASURE b500/ actual 445k (neck) & B250k/253k (bridge) and are linears.. seemed to be ok so far with the old school dimarzios so far, will have to try in a live setting to know for sure, but i reiterate the thing was as dark as all get out with the stock setup (3 @ B250K) and mis-wired cap.
    Gonna move on to some 6 string strat mods for awhile until my new pot & cap selection arrives.
    Do you guys comment in any 6 string forums?
    was thinking about a push/pull (ser-par) for my super trick high massed bridged SSS
    Last edited: 20 minutes ago
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
    A moment ago #22 PawleeP Oct 8, 2012 New PawleeP said:
    thanx killed bydeath,
    On the MIJ jazz, i was looking at my original drawings from the stock (3 B250k array) and the cap was soldered from the middle lug of the tone to the hot lead (tip) of the output jack, could that have been killing (lol) my high end?
    If so it may be too bight now? SHUCKS!
    THE ACTUAL vol 1 & 2 POTS I TEMPORARILY PUT IN TO TEST, till i get more pots in stock ACTUALLY MEASURE b500/ actual 445k (neck) & B250k/253k (bridge) and are linears.. seemed to be ok so far with the old school dimarzios so far, will have to try in a live setting to know for sure, but i reiterate the thing was as dark as all get out with the stock setup (3 @ B250K) and mis-wired cap.
    Gonna move on to some 6 string strat mods for awhile until my new pot & cap selection arrives.
    Do you guys comment in any 6 string forums?
    was thinking about a push/pull (ser-par) for my super trick high massed bridged SSS

2. You can do series wiring with a Strat just like you can with a Jazz, only it gets tricky with three pickups, since you only want to have two of those on at once.

If you want to make a real beast out of it, wire it up like Dave Murray's, all humbuckers:

Fender-Artist-Dave-Murray-Stratocaster-HHH_FEAT.

I had one for a hot minute & it was the quietest Strat I've ever picked up, even quieter than my Mexican with Lace Sensors.

There's another option, get the Rainbow pack of Lace Sensors:

Lace Rainbow Pack. Purple Sensor, Emerald Sensor and RWRP Silver Sensor in one box to load your Strat with Lace Pickups!

Rainbow_Pack_WHT.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  3. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    ufb

4. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    do you lose the single coil sound with these?
    kinda want a stevie rayish tone! p

5. I'm not sure, here are some of Dave Murray's solos:

You might be able to pull off a more standard Strat sound with that middle pickup, the JB Jr.
    Here is the page for JB Jr.:

JB Jr. Strat

There's samples clips in the middle of the page.

PawleeP likes this.
  6. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    this may be off topic.. but i figured u may have an answer.
    have a guyatone combo ( GA-30 i think) and the mstr (only volume) pot is a A500K with an on/off switch piggybacked and intermittent. All i can find with a switch is a 1meg 1000k ohms. Will this make the amp brighter. Because all it has is a tone for EQ and i may not want it brighter..
    Also will this overload anything in the pre-amp or power section? thanx, p. surrounded by death

7. I wouldn't think so, but this is me when I look at amp schematics:

AykWHUF.

even though I built the simplest of amps in a 201 level electronics class a couple of years ago
    my previous experience, from many years prior, was from checking test points :wideyed:

This is the schematic for a GA-30, but it's a Gibson:

GA-30.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    PawleeP likes this.
  8. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    tell me if i am wrong, but i seems as if you could just change the bridge pup to this
    JB Jr. Strat
    and put in a coil tap (push-pull or maybe even a dpdt) and have some serious extra tonal options

9. If you're going to go to the trouble of putting in a DPDT for switching, make it parallel & series, that way you retain the humbucking capabilities of the pickup & get pretty darn close to single coil sound (in parallel).
    My LTD guitar has double bucks & in two positions of the 5-way switch it's using two singles in parallel. In position 2 I've got one coil from the neck pickup & the reverse wound coil from the bridge pickup & it manages a Strat quack.
    It uses a superswitch for that, though, not a standard 5-way switch.

10. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    where do u get a super switch?

11. MojoTone is a pretty good source:

Switches

Here's a sample diagram for the superswitch, can't seem to find one for a Strat:

HHInOutSplit5WORKS-1024x786.

Here's how the superswitch is set up:

3200_01terminalmap.

The downside is you'd have to come up with your own way of wiring the switch for a HHH configuration in a Strat.

You could get pretty close by checking out a HSH diagram:

111984__Unbenannt%202.

That JB Jr. would be fine for the bridge pickup.
    Many players say the JB is their favorite pickup.

12. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Are strat lace sensors, single, split or dual (humbucking) coils?
    I may have a hookup for a set. p

13. Lace Sensors are single coils.

PawleeP likes this.
  14. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    What is m/n taper? 2 volumes may not fit for the application.
    we may be in the wrong forum for this subject, so i'll say it before we get reprimanded.. p

15. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    So how are they so special, are they allegedly noise-less? and/or have a great tone or what? Thanx, p

16. No one knows how Don Lace makes those pickups, and they are indeed noiseless, but I found Seymour Duncan's mini-humbuckers to be even quieter (Dave Murray Strat mentioned above).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    Were you recommending a stacked dual volume (no-load) instead of a blend?
    This is gonna be for a neck-on> w/ blend option mod for a strat.

Will maybe want to do a Dave Murry type setup eventually on a fdifferent one, when budget allows for a set of 3 dual rail pups like you showed and recommended before

18. Having two volumes (or a blend) & all those switching possibilities is just asking for it to be too complicated.
    It is possible, though, considering how the switches are constructed.

19. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    The number 2 mod below is the one i was considering doing, the number 1 mod is a little simpler, but you would have to blend by adjusting the pickup heights.. This is the mod i was asking about for a blender pot..
    Like i said, something like the dave murray setup looks real cool, but would have to wait for a another strat mod project down the road..
    Rothstein Guitars • Serious Tone for the Serious Player
    Transform Your Strat Into A Blues Monster!
    7 of the Best Strat Wiring Mods Around

1. NECK-ON SWITCH http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/neck_on_howto.gif
    This unbelievably simple mod will keep all of your Strat controls (switch and pots) in the very familiar and comfortable stock wiring, yet give you 7 pickup combinations instead of just 5. The 2 additional pickups combinations are neck/bridge and all 3 pickups on simultaneously (in parallel). The neck/bridge combo in particular is a terrific addition that sounds very much like a Tele, due to the physical distance between the 2 pickups relative to one another (one being located near the bridge the other all the way by the neck).
    - All you will need is a mini-switch which can be implemented as a stand-alone switch or housed on a push-pull pot.

2. BLENDER MOD
    - Using a blender pot is another great use for that 2nd tone control on a Strat. A blender pot allows you to blend (mix) the neck pickup or the bridge pickup into the signal which will provide you with 2 extra sounds, namely: bridge/neck (very Tele like) as well as all 3 pickups on simultaneously. You can think of it as a kind of “variable” neck-on switch. If the 5-way is in the neck position, the blender pot blends in the bridge pickup. If the 5-way is in the bridge position, it blends in the neck pickup. The advantage of this over the neck-on switch is that with a blender pot you can dial in as much or as little of the other pickup as you want. For example, one of Lindy Fralin’s personal favorite ways to use blender wiring is to add just a little bit of the neck pickup to warm up the bridge pickup.

- Blender pots ideally should be “no-load” pots so when the pot is on 10, it is completely removed from the circuit, and therefore not loading the circuit in any way (think “true bypass”).
    - Here is a summary of how the blender works in relation to the 5 way selector switch

Neck Pick-Up Mod (Gilmour Switch)
    neck on / off ? pp

20. I think G&L got it right. They put in a little mini-switch on their Comanche & other Strat-like guitars that allows you to run all three pickups at once or neck+bridge,
    and they use a bass cut knob, but then again their MFD pickups have a broader timbre than any Strat pickups.

PawleeP likes this.