Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guys ....triple dog emergency help....it may be too late !!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jul 12, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have/had a deal on a used SWR Goliath...but turned it down because I though the ampeg would suit me better...but I botched my research ...I read the specs wrong.....I need too know RIGHT NOW...he may be selling the SWR to someone else!!!

My two choices....

SWR Goliath III 8 OHMS
    or
    AMPEG SVT-HLF 4 OHMS

now....the SWR is 700watts RMS,(I know SWR puts out a 4 ohm, but I'm looking at a good deal used goliath at 8 ohms), but the Ampeg is only 400 watts RMS. The SWR is 8 ohms, the ampeg 4 ohms....what should sway me in this situation watts or ohms. I want to maximize my tone and volume.
    (I've played em with my rig in the store, Ashly Bp-41 + Carvin DCM1000 Power Amp....but you know....it's different when your up there full blast with a band.)

ON PAPER...whats better?

Klark Kent:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get the Goliath.

Don't worry too much about the impedance. You can run the Carvin bridged - 700W @ 8 Ohm. That's plenty enough power.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would go with the 8 ohm cabinet.

4. Get the 8 ohm Goliath. More flexibility if you add a cab later, and as stated above, you have plenty of available power.

5. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    THANKS GUYS YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope it's not too late!!!!!!!!!!