Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guys with live mixing experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petebass, May 29, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Pretend for a sec that you can have a sub built especially for you, but it's only a single 18. Now you're pretty sure a single 18 isn't gonna be enough, but you really want the kick drum to get over the top of the guitar amps. So you ask that the sub produce one frequency only, but does that one frequency extremely well. What frequency would you ask for?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Single freq? Not going to work.

Try 100hz and below.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The thing that makes you hear the kick drum is the upper overtones of the drum head. Subs just give you the "oomph", the kick in the chest feeling.

Trick is to find the EQ sweet spot for the particular bass drum and mike combination such that you get the "click" of the beater on the head to give a sharp attack to the note.

4. Jaysound

Jaysound

Jan 9, 2003
    Australia
    I don't think there's a universal kick drum "sweet spot." It depends on the drum and the mic. Could be anywhere from 50hz to 100hz.

Also depends what else is happening on stage. You need to EQ it to separate it from the bass guitar and other low end stuff, so the sound doesn't get lost.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    YOu can find the "click" of the beater on the head at around 250hz, or thereabouts. Simple numbers, however, won't get you far. You've got to listen and experiment.

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    If I had to go blindly into it, I'd say 70Hz, but like so many others have said, it depends on the drum.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks people. Especially Jay. Everyone, should know she's the best sound engineer in the world!

Looks like I'm gonna design these subs so they work well between 50 and 100, but with a 3dB hump at about 75, so the simple reason it's right in the middle of those 2 frequencies. If that's not enough, he's gonna have to order some more. I guess you can't change the laws of physics....

I designed 2 versions of the same sub. Both are bandpass. One is 144 litrs and fits the above description. The other is 200 litres but does it's best work from 41Hz to 95Hz. From what you guys have said, the extra 56 litres aint worth carrying around.