Gypsy Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by mattzink, Apr 6, 2003.

1. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    hello everyone!
    i'm looking for the name of a double bassist that is starting to get fame stateside as a jazz bassist. i'd like to know his name and any recordings that he has done (if any). the problem is, the description i will give will be pretty vague. i heard about him on National Public Radio's "Weekend Edition Sunday". All i know is that he is a gypsy and while he likes jazz and earns his bread and butter playing jazz, he is also an accomplished classic bassist as well. can anyone help with a name/recordings?

will probably check npr's website archives, but i figure this is as good a place as any for help. thanks a ton, matt
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    If it was on the Mark O'Connor feature, it was probably Jon Burr. He's done a lot of straightahead stuff as well, with the likes of Roland Hanna, Horace Silver, Hank Jones, and Art Farmer. He did five years with Tony Bennett, and ten years with Stephane Grappelli. He's not a real gypsy, he just plays one onstage.
  3. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    yeah - the guy i was looking for was an actual gypsy, as was his familyhe was raised in, who are also musicians
  4. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i checked out npr's website. i think the guy i'm looking for is named Aladar Pege. i think he claims hungary as his home. now - have any of you heard of him? i'd like to track down his recordings, if he has any.

i will also check into the players y'all mentioned. the documentary sound real cool.
  5. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    "lazy"? tell it to me straight, man, i can take it. no seriously, i'll probably check into both bassists. i'm not completely sure i have the right guy yet. i couldn't listen to the article at the npr site to know if he's the guy i'm looking for. i will try again at home.
  6. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    My son's got strep so I'm home today with time to
    Aladar Pege, born 1939, Budapest,Hungary. Took
    up double bass at 15, graduated from Bela Bartok
    Consevatory. Formed his first group in 1963,
    played at Bled, Yugoslavia jazz festival and at
    Montreaux in 1970. Moved to Berlin 1975-78, back
    to Hungary to teach.
    Look for the duos with Walter Norris (Synchronicity,
    1978 Enja 3035 and Winter Rose, 1980 Enja 3067)
    and the Mingus Dynasty's Live at Montreaux, 1980,
    Atlantic 16031. The Hungarian recordings I have
    are Montreaux Inventions, 1970 Hungaroton 17418,
    Pege, 1980 Pepita 17596 and Live Pege, 1981-82
    Krem 17742.
    He's got a lot of technique, pizz and arco. A lot of
    energy; takes chances. Sue Mingus was so moved
    by his performance she gave Pege one of Mingus'
    I first heard of Pege through Hungarian expatriate
    pianist Nat Nichols in NW Indiana a few decades ago. Pleasantly reminded sometime later by
    guitarist Attila Zoller.
    Lesson over, go look at the New Grove Dictionary
    of Jazz and find the albums!
    Ed, the only Lakatos I'm familiar with is a saxophonist - Antal Lakatos.
  7. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    I completelly agree with Jason Sypher...
    If you want to hear a real gipsy bassist, hear the bass player of Taraf de Haidouks...... Vlad Viorel ???
    Hes a monster, amazing bass player, the 1st time i heard a turkish dance song where he makes a solo, i almost couldnt believe my ears....

8. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Your information was extremely helpful - he's the guy i'm looking for. (I remembered the bit about sue mingus giving her one of charlie's basses) don't know where i got the idea he was a gypsy. but thank you, a thousand times thank you for you research. i hope your son is feeling better - strep is awful. i've had it twice in my life and both times it knocked me for a loop.
  9. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Edward, I had the pleasure of attending one of his
    jazz camps in Vermont and staying over awhile afterward to play in another of those past lives I guess we all have.
    He had such a deep spirit and deeper convictions.
    At times profane, at times profound. I enjoyed his
    cooking almost as much as his guitar playing - I
    remember that chicken paprika and the spicy aroma
    that would envelop the place.
    His energy level seemed boundless; he had this big
    voice that shake you to the core when he was
    displeased - and made you beam inside when he
    was complimentary.
    His zest for life and passion for music is a journey
    worthy for us as well. His work, done his way but with a feeling that he cared about your
    work and life almost as much as his own.